Computer Help
Aug 23, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
I was about to play a game of Starcraft with my friends, when my PC's reader started making this really weird scratchy noise. I though that the CD had been messed up, so I tried a different CDs. After a few CDs of different kinds, I've determined it's the reader, rather than the CDs.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on?

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 14
Open the computer case and look at the cable going to the drive, if it's a wide, flat ribbon cable you'll need to buy an IDE drive for replacement. If the cable is thin and small, you'll need a SATA drive.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 14
If it's two years old, I am pretty sure that is IDE drive. You can find it by following what AuroraProject said above. That's pretty much universical, you don't have to worry about compatibility. Price is quite cheap in these days too. PM me if you want to know drives I recommend.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Something like this happened to me while playing StarCraft. Turned out that the CD was so scratched up that my drive couldn't read it. While trying to eject the disk it flew out of my drive and broke into little plastic shards. Had to replace the drive and buy myself another copy of StarCraft.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 14
sounds like a scratched up cd

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxyjin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something like this happened to me while playing StarCraft. Turned out that the CD was so scratched up that my drive couldn't read it. While trying to eject the disk it flew out of my drive and broke into little plastic shards. Had to replace the drive and buy myself another copy of StarCraft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like a scratched up cd

biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 14
grab a cheap CD drive off ebay or another online service, replacement is quite easy, you can find tons of tutorials and guides online.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 14
^ Its 16 months since the OP reported the problem.
I am sure he have fixed it by now...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back