Computer Headphones first-timer
Oct 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

achifi

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I was wondering what HiFi headphones should I get for best audio quality in my computer? (After getting good soundcard: Xonar) I dont have unlimited budget so something less than 90€ would be nice. Music genres lets just say rockish pop cause I listen to lots of genres in general. And movies are great factor for these. + for closed but not necessary.

I was looking myself at Sennheiser 201 but I heard 555 is ****-ton better in sound quality is that right? They're open but that doesnt matter if those really are better. Friend also recommended AKG K 530 but when reading stuff about those got mixed feelings + hard to find those in stock.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by achifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
I was wondering what HiFi headphones should I get for best audio quality in my computer? (After getting good soundcard: Xonar) I dont have unlimited budget so something less than 90€ would be nice. Music genres lets just say rockish pop cause I listen to lots of genres in general. And movies are great factor for these. + for closed but not necessary.

I was looking myself at Sennheiser 201 but I heard 555 is ****-ton better in sound quality is that right? They're open but that doesnt matter if those really are better. Friend also recommended AKG K 530 but when reading stuff about those got mixed feelings + hard to find those in stock.

Thanks.

I'm also new to this as well and after reading this site and others, it seems the hands down winner for best bang for the buck (I'm a computer geek as well so bang for the buck is very much a factor for me
biggrin.gif
) seems to be the JVC HA RX700 for music and the JVC HA RX900 for gaming, I've pretty much made up my mind and am 90% sure I'll be getting these for my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. multi-player addiction, anyone please feel free to correct me, but I've heard nothing but raves about the quality of the 700s for music ($35 shipped at Newegg) and the 900s for gaming ($60 shipped at Newegg) at their price point and even higher, search JVC HA RX700 or 900 to see what I'm talking about, or just check out this thread, and as with most of the regulars on this site, dude knows what he's talking about...

I just recently got the 201s and they're good entry level headphones, best headphones I've owned so far and I paid what I usually used to pay for inferior headphones ($15 shipped <used>), but that's not saying much because I've never really considered buying anything but cheap headphones to get me by, but the difference with the Sennheiser 201 is noticeable in that regard, the 555s are a big jump in price at ~ 4x as much as the 201s at most retailers online...

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 35
RX700 looks cool but I live in europe so cant order from Newegg or Amazon.com and JVC HA-RX700 Deep Bass Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo has 'em with higher price. Worth it? Or better choices out there? And should I get an amp, is there good budget amps?

EDIT: So k, checked the Premier Sponsor store HiFi Headphones UK and found these:
Koss Pro/4aa Retro Headphones HiFi Headphones
Beyerdynamic DTX800 Dynamic Open Back Headphones (DTX 800) - Dynamic Open Back H HiFi Headphones
Sennheiser HD438 Closed-Back Stereo Headphones (HD 438) HiFi Headphones

How are those? Whats the best for my use(including of course HD 555 and JCV RX-700 as choices)? and should I even consider getting amplifier like these:
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier in Black HiFi Headphones
FiiO E3 Headphone Amplifier in Black HiFi Headphones
And If I should, with what headphones and which amp?

Thanks again.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 35
Looks like it. (Xonar Essence STX)

So, what Headphones should I get? Are those Koss PRO4AA total fail havent heard about those anything. Recommend me good ones for the use I described in first post.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wol-va-rine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I've heard nothing but raves about the quality of the 700s for music ($35 shipped at Newegg) and the 900s for gaming ($60 shipped at Newegg) at their price point and even higher...

I just recently got the 201s and they're good entry level headphones, best headphones I've owned so far and I paid what I usually used to pay for inferior headphones ($15 shipped <used>), but that's not saying much because I've never really considered buying anything but cheap headphones to get me by, but the difference with the Sennheiser 201 is noticeable in that regard, the 555s are a big jump in price at ~ 4x as much as the 201s at most retailers online...

Honestly, the RX700 and RX900 weren't anything too special. Sure, they sound better than most of the poop you'll see the general public using, but compared to other cans in their price range, I found the RX700 dull and slow and the RX900 crazy bloated. Nor am I a big fan of the HD201's, they're also extremely bloated. It'd be in your best interests to save up some money and get something more worthwhile.

On the other hand, I simply didn't like the HD555 because they weren't as fast as my AD700's that I had at the time, but they're just a different sound signature.

You could probably find some AKG240's used for <$50, very detailed, but if you're expecting an exciting headphone, no luck. For 90€, you can get the Alessandro MS-1(i). They sound terrific with rock and can easily be modded and turned into amazing headphones esp. for the price. Some other good choice would be the ATH-AD700, Senn HD555, Audio Technica ATH-ES7, Denon AH-D1001, and the dbi Pro700. These all sound pretty good unamped. If you REALLY want to try something different, try the Fostex T50RP. These are entry level orthodynamics and need an amp, but they sound VERY smooth. Unique ortho flavor!

I wouldn't be looking for Grados, Grado charges an arm and a leg for international buyers.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 35
Denon AH-D1001s looks pretty nice but I read from another thread that they are the same as Creative Aurvana Live, true or not? Creatives are 30£ cheaper, lol. And Should I get D1001s If I dont ever intend to recable 'em?

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 35
ATH-A700s looks pretty nice too and havent heard anything negative about those yet, any stores in Europe that has those for same price margin as in Amazon.com (110$) ?

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 35
Those HD555 the guide says there is 50 and 120 ohm versions I only manage to find 50ohm are those good get? Should I get those seems like those are pretty popular. Does the 50 or 120 version need amplifier?

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 35
Can't you get grado/alessandro for a reasonable price in the EU? I would try to get some sr60/80/ms-1. I wouldn't get those sonys, they are okay headphones but too sterile sounding for mostly rock (imho). I wouldn't get AD700 for mostly rock, either. A700 get good reviews, but I've never heard them. try to audition them someplace if you can.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you get grado/alessandro for a reasonable price in the EU? I would try to get some sr60/80/ms-1. I wouldn't get those sonys, they are okay headphones but too sterile sounding for mostly rock (imho). I wouldn't get AD700 for mostly rock, either. A700 get good reviews, but I've never heard them. try to audition them someplace if you can.

Grados charge so much for international dealers. Alessandro is the way to go for international.

I high recommend the MS-1i's

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 35
How much MS-1i's are? I emailed Alessandro about ordering we'll see how much postages are. How does the ordering from Alessandro btw work? Paypal or something? And do I order by emailing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back