Computer hardware help, please
Jun 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
I am buying my first laptop computer and have a newbee question. Can I get broadband internet connection wirelessly? What exactly do I need to buy and what is the approximate cost? thanks for the help.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 13
pretty much all new laptops come with built in wireless. so thats included in the price. you'll need to have a wireless router/access point in your house in order to take advantage of that though. you can get that from your internet provider or purchase your own.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 13
Wireless router prices can vary greatly depending on the speed, strength and range of connection you desire. As well as, I'm sure, other 'features' which you may or may not need.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Actually N is overrated, it makes no diff compared to G in most situations, and even if you have a n router, most likely its being run at g speeds due to the other computers on the network anyways.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by will33184 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually N is overrated, it makes no diff compared to G in most situations, and even if you have a n router, most likely its being run at g speeds due to the other computers on the network anyways.

Do new laptop come with non N agapters? No, so what are you talking about.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Plenty of new laptops come with G adapters. Besides countless netbook models, most lower-end acer, dell, and hp pc's are still specced at 802.11g at the base configuration.

A few examples from quick search:

Acer AS4520

HP Pavillion DV6T

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plenty of new laptops come with G adapters. Besides countless netbook models, most lower-end acer, dell, and hp pc's are still specced at 802.11g at the base configuration.

A few examples from quick search:

Acer AS4520

HP Pavillion DV6T

OK, now point out were I said it had to be N. If you go back and read my post with your eyes open then you will see that I said to get the most up to date wireless adapter made by Intel and that would probably include N.

Welcome to Reading Is Fundamental

BTW: A 400 dollar ACER and an HP that has yet to be configured??? Get a new hobby dude.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Do new laptop come with non N agapters?

Pretty sure you asked whether new laptops actually come with non-N adapters. At least that's what the quote above says. All I did was answer. Let's not take each other's posts apart. It could get ugly
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

my point was that you dont need the intel agn, you just need ANY g. not all laptops offer intel wireless cards built in, or if they do, at n speeds. I was just saying that a g wireless adapter/card is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back