(computer gorus) sound card and cd burning question
Jan 3, 2002 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

decesaro

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any sound cards that have an optical out on the back of them , the reason being I dont have a cd burner ( in the computer ) but I have one for the home system , I have It hooked up thru the 3.5 out plug, but I wanted less backround hiss, and the other reason would be for tracking each track, it has a tendency to miss the next track and I have to babysit it.
Would it just be easier to buy a computer cd burner .
Any info on how you burn and what you use would be helpful.

Chris:
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
My fortissimo II has an optical out!!! And in!!! And it kills my old SB live!!!

About how much did you pay for it ? also is it readily availble at we'll say best buy or circuit city ? you saw its better than the sb live ? in what ways ? the reason I ask is because thats the card I have in my pc .
Thanks for your input
Chris

Jan 3, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 9
Ok, first, it doesn't cause conflicts everywhere. Second, the sound quality is MUCH better than on thel ive. You will start smiling when you see what you've been missing. I did see the fortissimo II at best buy for 60 dollars. I got mine from newegg for $43.

Jan 3, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
My fortissimo II has an optical out!!! And in!!! And it kills my old SB live!!!

I checked best buy's web site and the product info said it did not have a digital out , I wonder if the web site is wrong .
Chris

Jan 3, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I'd personally recommend getting a computer CD burner for several reasons.

1. The blanks are cheaper, you can buy them in quantity for .30-.50 each instead of $1-2 for the discs for a home recorder.

2. Music editing is much easier on a computer than on component equipment.

3. You can now get CDR/RW drives for as cheap as a decent soundcard, many under $100. TDK has refurbished drives on their website for as little as $70. http://www.tdkestore.com/prline.asp?prl=vel&cat=velo

-Keith

Jan 3, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, the web site is wrong. It DEFINATLY has an optical in and an out. Unless my recordings have just been drug induced, but I don't know anything about that.
frown.gif

confused.gif

Anyyway, Personally, I'd buy a cd-burner. I mean, you can do SO much more with a burner in the computer.

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Head over to your local Best Buy, and get the TDK Velo CD 32x10x40 or Plextor 24x10x40 - both internal.
If you're going to be using your computer while burning a CD, I suggest you pay a little extra for the Yamaha 24x10x40 which has an 8MB buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back