computer geeks, help me out.
Jan 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok so It was waaaayyyy past due to upgrade my crappy cpu, an AMD 3500+. I popped in an Opteron 180 today and everything is running fine. I'm getting sweet fps on COD4, and thinks are running smooth. The only issue now is... my AIM won't connect! Neither will my msn. My only guess is that i'm unable to connect to some external ports. What could be the issue?!

oh PS. firefox keeps telling me to approve certificates from every damn website i go to. I think this is part of the problem.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 5
A wild guess.

Check if you date is at the good year. I heard that sometime having the wrong date prevent MSN from connecting. It would also be related to the Firefox certificate since when it will check the date of the certificate it may think that it's not valid since it's out of the validity range.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Well it does sound like there is a firewall/port blockage. I can't help you out, but you can use Meebo.com for your AIM & MSN until you figure it out. Even a nice FF extension.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Also check for a BIOS update, it might be needed to properly support the new CPU. Is it recognised as an Opteron on boot during the BIOS sequence? Since you've gone from a single to a dual-core cpu, check using the Windows task manager that it is indeed seeing 2 cores.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 5
oh wow. i did every update you could imagine. even videocard and they didnt help. then i took danT's advice and it worked! for some odd reason, it was set to 2004.

Thanks a ton!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back