Computer Gaming Headphones
Oct 21, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Actually, that's not really true. Recent, high-quality LCDs do not ghost at all, even for gaming.

I run two LCDs on my machine for everything from graphics work to DVD to gaming, and neither has ever "ghosted." Modern LCD displays just don't do it, unless you get the super-cheap ones.

High-quality LCDs aren't exactly cheap, so most people tend to buy the cheaper ones - the ones that still have the ghosting problem... I know that it isn't a general fault in LCDs...

My uncle just bought a cheap 15" LCD, and he says it's ghosting a bit when he plays Diablo 2-LOD
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 25
MacDEF: Well, yeah. But until my dad brings home the SGI 1600SW from his office (that's how I got the #9 Rev IV card, it's one of the only video cards that can drive the 1600SW without an adapter box) I'm kinda stuck with the Viewsonic 150. Anyone know where I can get an SGI cheap?
biggrin.gif

Xevion: The Rage Pro is driving the CRT, which because it is PCI windows always assumes is a secondary card, so the #9 is my 3D Gaming card. It isn't bad, UT works nicely
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't the faintest what my framerate is tho, probably around 30 FPS
frown.gif
(not too shabby since I get ~21 playing HL:firearms upstairs...)

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #18 of 25
Well, it's late, and I just got home from a lan party, but just wanted to respond to this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I used my soundcard to a jmt portable amp, to my hd600's today. I actually thought about using the optical out to my dac to my melos :p How crazy would that have been? Next time we have a lan party here I think I'll do that. Everyone's gonna be so jealous...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:51 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
But I'll definitely consider those V6s, perhaps if I go to Magnolia some time I'll take a look. (that's V6, not V600 right?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
) However, I'd prefer to get some cheaper headphones since I think my dad is going to get me some HD580s for Christmas
cool.gif

Magnolia hi-fi doesn't carry the v6. Believe me, I've looked. The one in Bellevue has an Orpheus though.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just got a pair of v6s though...if you ever seriously want to have a listen to them before dropping the dough, send me an email and I'd be happy to let you try them out. I just got my first pair in the mail today and they're living up to my expectations in full.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 25
beni: I know about the Orpheus, if I ever go there and there isn't very much backround noise me and it will have a nice, *long* listening session
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you in the Seattle area? That could make my borrowing a pair más facil, to quote my Spanish teacher
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 25
Yeah - I live in Green Lake, just about five minutes north of UW or ten minutes from the I-5/520 interchange. Well...ten minutes with no traffic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 25
Cool. Now, to get this thread back on topic...

How much do Koss UR-20/30s cost around here? And what's the difference between the 20s and 30s?

Oct 21, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 25
I believe the only difference between the 20 and the 30 is that the 30 folds and the 20 doesn't. I doubt you'll be able to find them for less than list price anywhere, so you might as well just order them from headroom.

Oct 22, 2001 at 10:12 AM Post #25 of 25
I haven't been on the forums lately...but since I was a pretty avid computer gamer, I'll add my input..

Quote:

How much do Koss UR-20/30s cost around here? And what's the difference between the 20s and 30s?

Well, according to Koss's specs, there is a difference between the UR20 and 30...to quote from Koss.com:

UR30:
High Fidelity Stereophone utilizes an anisotropic magnet and 1.4 mil mylar element for deep bass and treble clarity

UR20:
High fidelity Stereophone utilizes neodymium rare earth magnet and 16 micron mylar element for deep bass and treble clarity

I had the UR20 a while back and they are actually pretty good for gaming .. they are a bit boomy, but they can be driven easily out of the soundcard.. If I'm not mistaken, the UR30 has a higher impendence too. I had a couple of gripes with the UR20 though. First, they are a bit hard to adjust and second, the upper mid range is lacking a bit -- so I don't recommend these headphones for music -- especially classical, jazz, vocal, etc.

The Koss UR series are very cheap online.. like $15+s/h for the UR20.. but I had bought mine from Best Buy.. which was good since I ended up returning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back