Computer Gaming Headphones
Oct 19, 2001 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Okay, I'm in need of some headphones for the computer in my room, yes the one with the free Athlon
smily_headphones1.gif

The headphones have to be:
- Cheap
- Easily availible at a local store (Magnolia HiFi, *gasp* Radio Shack, *gasp-more* CompUSA...)
- Cheap
- Shouldn't need an amp, since all my amps are battery powered.

The headphones will probably be used for Unreal Tournament and Half-Life: Firearms Mod, provided I can get HL to work.

As for the specs, here's something the computer literate can drool over:

AMD Athlon XP 1.2 Ghz

512M DDR SDRAM

ATI Rage Pro card attached to CRT

Number Nine Revolution IV card attached to LCD

(yes, DUAL monitors
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
)

SCSI Jaz and CD drives

IDE hard drives and CD-RW

Hopefully in the future some removable hard drive racks so I can install Linux and not worry about Win2k fscking up the partition
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 25
Holy crap that's a nice PC! Anway, I'd use the digout of your soundcard to go into a DAC to your amp and use your etys or Sony V6s.

DAC ideas: CAL Gamma, ART DI/O, used stuff on audiogon.

Oct 19, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 25
Uh, I did mention cheap in there somewhere, and I can't exactly justify a DAC unless its under $20-50...

And I'd prefer not to use my Etys, since they do get uncomfortable (and I can't hear when my parents are coming down the stairs so I can switch to homework... "Just working on this history project Mom, you can go back to doing whatever...")

Oct 19, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 25
Alright, get MDR-V6s and hook them up to your soundcard and let them reveal the RFI/EMI and poor sound :wink: In all seriousness, they have great positioning to my ears. YMMV. And they're good cans period. But I guess $80 isn't cheap... so... Try those labtecs mentioned in another thread or the Koss line.

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 25
Well...I just won two different pairs of V6s yesterday and today on ebay for $50 shipped each, so you certainly don't have to pay list price for them. They're both going to be computer headphones...hope they work well for that. If not...well...I suppose they'll be good to use with my archos jukebox.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Instead of a removable hard drive rack to install Linux I also suggest getting a better video card. And if you want to do Dual monitors the cool way get a card with dual outputs... That way you get the same performance on each screen.

Oct 19, 2001 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 25
I don't know if you're into 3D, but Matrox cards have the best image quality and the best dual monitor support. No joke. You might run into some problems with your Athlon, so maybe ATI?

Oct 20, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 25
Well, I *do* want a better video card, but I'm happy with the ones I have on my computer, since I'd have issues finding a good one for under $100. (one that's good enough to justify getting a new one...) If I were to replace a video card it would be the ATI All in Wonder 128 AGP on the upstairs computer, which has a nice 21" flat CRT... Much better refresh rate than an LCD, and the CRT downstairs is kinda fuzzy (it's old).

As for the dual output graphics card (Matrox G450 IIRC), well see above.

And I do want to install Linux much more than I need to play games, since I have some old Win95 apps that don't run under 2000, even with APCOMPAT.EXE, and I'm pretty sure Wine supports them. (someone should port Wine to Windows...
biggrin.gif
)

But I'll definitely consider those V6s, perhaps if I go to Magnolia some time I'll take a look. (that's V6, not V600 right?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
) However, I'd prefer to get some cheaper headphones since I think my dad is going to get me some HD580s for Christmas
cool.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Much better refresh rate than an LCD

Keep in mind that you can't compare the refresh rates of CRTs and LCDs, since they do completely different things
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Keep in mind that you can't compare the refresh rates of CRTs and LCDs, since they do completely different things
wink.gif

Point being that many LCDs tend to "ghost"...

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 25
I will put in a vote for Sennheiser HD495s.

Sure, they aren't the bassiest headphones, but what matters most?

Imaging.

And your computer is dying for a new video card, I don't see how you can play a game on a Rage Pro, unless you only play games that don't use 3d acceleration.

As a dual monitor and matrox user myself, I prefer going the 2 card route (Matrox millenium driving my secondary monitor here, GF2 on the main monitor).

Oct 21, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Point being that many LCDs tend to "ghost"...

Actually, that's not really true. Recent, high-quality LCDs do not ghost at all, even for gaming.

I run two LCDs on my machine for everything from graphics work to DVD to gaming, and neither has ever "ghosted." Modern LCD displays just don't do it, unless you get the super-cheap ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back