computer games - inspirations needed...
Dec 17, 2003 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Well, I somehow rediscovered my faible for computer games - but there seem so few that are really good, nowadays. What I've enjoyed lately, where Gothic and Gothic 2 - so another action rpg with a lot of eye candy and at least a hint of humour could be nice. But I could also enjoy another shoother with freako levels like MDK... Or maybe some nice racing game with funky colours and groovy sound like Wipeout... Any recommendations? Preferred platform would be x86 pc/win xp...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 43
If you enjoyed Gothic, you'd probably like Morrowind.

I'm currently play Star Wars: Knights of the Old republic. And I have to say this is probably THE best action oriented RPG game i've ever played. I'm about 35 hours into it and almost done. It is just amazing. Great story line with twists and turns. You can play good or evil. Lots of good comic relief. Mini games. The list goes on and on. I think you'd really enjoy it if you enjoy the star wars universe.

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 43
How is your computer? I only ask because the latest batch of games need a lot of power.

I also have played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and also think it's good.

I have moved onto Deus Ex: Invisible War. I loved the first part of this game 4 or so years ago. It's not as RPGish now but I like the open ended nature of the game which gives you choices.

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 43
lini,

I think that you will not find many shooters which are as beautiful as MDK2. Nor are they likely to have as varied a level, nor have as precise control as MDK2.

For Beauty alone, a good $10 game would be Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2.

There's always Half Life, the Original Unreal, Unreal 2 (not Unreal Tournament), No One Lives Forever (I & II), Shogo, etc.

As far as the newest shooters... it all seems like WWII shooters, Halo, Star Trek Elite II, Max Payne (I & II), Aliens vs. Predators (I & II), ...

Something that mixes rpg and shooters: System Shock II and Deus Ex. Deus EX II should be out soon.

Sacrifice is also a beautiful RTS $10 game, as is Ground Control.

No, they don't make them like MDK II anymore. It is a great game. Fuuny, too.

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 43
Shogo rules.
cool.gif

played the demo of System shock, and it freaked me out man! got totally lost as well. which irritated me. everything looked the same..

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 43
i'd suggest Battlefield 1942...expansion packs if you want but then make sure to download patches & Desert Combat...great fun online...

oh...& play it on a Dell 2001fp lcd
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 43
Ahhh, nice - thanks for the hints so far! Unfortunately, I've already finished Knights of the old Republic - which seemed fairly nice, though I would have preferred a bit less morality and a bit more silliness (HK-47 robot was wonderful, though!
wink.gif
).

Ian: I've got two faster machines at the moment - the sofa notebook (P4/2.4 GHz, 512 MB, Mob. Radeon 9000 64MB) and the entertainer (P4/2.4 GHz, 512 MB, Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB), both running Win XP Home.

Walli: I 've played and enjoyed Unreal and UT. And I've also liked Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Generally, I find a lot of shooters lacking in the entertainment department, though - especially when it's all dungeons, dungeons and dungeons. I prefer landscape and freakish level designs... And some humour - but I guess, I'll have a long grey beard before Duke Nukem Forever finally arrives...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Are there any recent silly adventures - like Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle in modern?

Dec 17, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 43
You liked Gothic 2? *shudder* I only played it for a few hours and didn't like it at all. Whatever

You want shooter and racing? GTA3 and GTA3 Vice City!
I really love those. Sometimes I fire one up just to drive (well, race) aroung for a bit. So they're very good even when you have finished all the normal missions. Your PCs should be more than fine for them.

For a more serious and realistic "shooter" try Operation Flashpoint. It's not for everybody though. Many don't like the looks and the controls and gameplay take a little getting used to. But much like in GTA3 you get the feeling of freedom to do whatever you want. Not like many of those shooters where you feel like the passenger on a train without any choice where to go and how (Max Payne, Elite Force, .....).

Good, a little different and also a more realistic shooter: Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Oh, Freedom Fighters is great, too. Humor, atmosphere, good AI, nice story. Loved it.

The Hitman series. Depending on your style and patience it can be very stealthy or very messy
smily_headphones1.gif
Great games

Vietcong is quite cool, too. Very linear but with a very tight atmosphere.

OK, those should keep you busy for a while
biggrin.gif

Post if you need more.

Dec 17, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 43
if you can find it, for the pc check out "treadmarks": a racing/shooter game with a variety of tanks, weapons, and worlds to play in.

if you have a ps2, check out "rez". i sometimes have dreams about that game.

Dec 17, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 43
every single game i've bought in recent months refuses to work on my pc for some reason, even though i meet (and exceed) the system specs, patches dont help either.

odd thing is they work on other people's xp boxes.

lame.

i cant wait to get my new pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back