Computer freezes when ripping CDs.
Jun 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a laptop, it'll be virtually impossible to track why it's crashing.

False. A laptop can be diagnosed just like a desktop can. There's nothing magical about it.

Did you check the even logs for anything relevant?

Since you _can_ rip with WMP, what do the other application's you're using have in common? Are they using the same backend (E.G. LAME::YES). Are their Lame installs conflicting? Is lame corrupt? Try running it at a command line.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGTCooke
Here's a shot in the dark - disable your antivirus and try it.

Still froze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
run some stress tests? like OCCT or Intel Burn Test(be careful w/ this one!)

Ran OCCT, got warm but no freeze. Watched mem usage and cpu usage while trying to rip and none went up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the crash happen when ripping all CDs or just specific ones?

I had a case where ripping a particular "intentionally defective CD" was able to blue screen Windows 2000. The CD had an attempt at copy prevention by making the CD intentionally defective in ways that makes the CD difficult to read by computer CD drives. It was enough to completely confuse the CD drive enough to cause a blue screen crash. Updating the firmware on the CD drive fixed the problem and I was then able to successfully rip that CD.

Otherwise you may have to opt for an external USB CD drive. Research the drive to make sure it will be a good drive for ripping CDs. Some drives do much better than others for ripping while some drives are just horrible for ripping. You want to make sure you get a good one.

I was able to rip one last night, but every other CD I've tried has not worked correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your lappy set on max power or is it set to some kind of power setting that throttles back the cpu and screen when you are burning?

Set to max power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a laptop, it'll be virtually impossible to track why it's crashing.

It's new, take it back tell them it's crashing when reading in discs.

Quote:

Good point, if its new then at least get a replacement DVD drive to rule that out.

That's an extreme last resort, it took them 2 weeks to build this one, that's a long time for an experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with Vista, one other thing to try... during the installation of the program(s), make sure u right-mouse click on the setup file(s) and install as admin. after installation, right-mouse click on the pgm shortcut and run as admin as well.

hth,
don

Still froze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGTCooke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
False. A laptop can be diagnosed just like a desktop can. There's nothing magical about it.

Did you check the even logs for anything relevant?

Since you _can_ rip with WMP, what do the other application's you're using have in common? Are they using the same backend (E.G. LAME::YES). Are their Lame installs conflicting? Is lame corrupt? Try running it at a command line.

LAME would explain freezing when ripping as MP3 freezing, but what about FLAC and WAV?

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 24
Okay. I have the problem figured out (or at least the cause of it), and it's weird.

Graphics card driver installed - computer freezes
Graphics card driver not installed - no freeze

Happens in both Vista and 7 with fresh installs.

Any idea, or should I send this thing back?

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 24
Okay. I have the problem figured out (or at least the cause of it), and it's weird.

Graphics card driver installed - computer freezes
Graphics card driver not installed - no freeze

Happens in both Vista and 7 with fresh installs.

Any idea, or should I send this thing back?

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 24
Interesting. Are there updated video drivers available? Check the NVIDIA web site for updated drivers. Let NVIDIA know of the bug.

Does the laptop use system RAM as video memory or does it have dedicated video memory? I had a desktop system that had integrated NVIDIA video that used system RAM. It had a feature that would dynamically size the amount of system RAM used. I think that dynamic sizing was (is) buggy. It seemed to tromp over the memory used by other drivers. It gave me problems with corrupting FireWire audio. I ended up disabling the onboard video and using a better performing dedicated video card. That fixed the problem, but not an option on a laptop.

If updated drivers don't fix the problem then I'd return the laptop. A video driver that corrupts the memory used by other drivers is not good and can cause major problems. Maybe upgrade to the version of the Dell laptop that has dedicated video memory?

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #23 of 24
Try a newer driver from the laptop vendor, if that doesn't work then un-install the graphics driver, restart the computer and run windows update and see if Microsoft has a driver that has been approved. The Microsoft drivers are usually older as it takes some time for Microsoft to approve them.

Generic drivers can be had from ATI and Nvidia, maybe your laptop vendor tweaked the driver and broke it.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

http://www.driverheaven.net/nvmodtool.php <~~I will be using this on my laptop as the driver from the laptop maker is ancient.

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

What kind of graphics chip you got there? Also where did the Graphics driver come from?

Nvidia 9500M. It's a hybrid SLI system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Are there updated video drivers available? Check the NVIDIA web site for updated drivers. Let NVIDIA know of the bug.

Does the laptop use system RAM as video memory or does it have dedicated video memory? I had a desktop system that had integrated NVIDIA video that used system RAM. It had a feature that would dynamically size the amount of system RAM used. I think that dynamic sizing was (is) buggy. It seemed to tromp over the memory used by other drivers. It gave me problems with corrupting FireWire audio. I ended up disabling the onboard video and using a better performing dedicated video card. That fixed the problem, but not an option on a laptop.

If updated drivers don't fix the problem then I'd return the laptop. A video driver that corrupts the memory used by other drivers is not good and can cause major problems. Maybe upgrade to the version of the Dell laptop that has dedicated video memory?

It's a hybrid SLI system, so it has a discrete graphics card.

Quote:

Try a newer driver from the laptop vendor, if that doesn't work then un-install the graphics driver, restart the computer and run windows update and see if Microsoft has a driver that has been approved. The Microsoft drivers are usually older as it takes some time for Microsoft to approve them.

Generic drivers can be had from ATI and Nvidia, maybe your laptop vendor tweaked the driver and broke it.

NVIDIA & Laptop News | Latest NVIDIA drivers and related news | laptopvideo2go.com

NVIDIA Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net <~~I will be using this on my laptop as the driver from the laptop maker is ancient.

Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check those out.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back