Computer Experts, Lend Me Your Ears!
Apr 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to guess that it's because heatpipes tend to work most efficiently if they're parallel to the ground- if the heatsink were mounted the other way, the cooling liquid in the bottom heatpipes wouldn't be able to travel back to the base of the heatskink as efficiently. I believe some of it still makes it back due to capillary action along the material in the inner lining of the heatpipe (if I recall correctly).

So the CPU HSF is supposed to blow the hot air onto the GPU and not out the back of the case?

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the CPU HSF is supposed to blow the hot air onto the GPU and not out the back of the case?

No, which is why I stated that I would most likely mount that particular HSF blowing out the back. My Mugen 2 is a much larger square shape so it can be mounted with the heatpipes in the proper orientation and still blow air in the right direction.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 19
That fan is blowing up into the top exhaust fan, FYI. Its a bit unorthodox, but I found it to work the best in this setup and on an AMD board it cannot be mounted sideways.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 19
I'd go with a Lian-Li, they make fantastic cases. In terms of cooling all you need are a few 120mm fans - good ones like Noctua if you wish.
For quietness consider mounting fans on rubber dampers, good heatsinks will have these built in.
Suspend your hard drive in mid air (I used underwear elastic), it will make the biggest difference other than fan noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back