Sata Hdd
Ati 9700 pro
Terratec 6fire

WinXP pro
IE6
most updates except some of the security patches that did not seem to apply

Norton Internet Securtiy 2003

Running cable broadband through a netgear RP614 router

My problem is that I cannot load some pages at all, and some pictures and graphic links will not load. Example; Here on Headfi, the links (graphics) to headroom, Meier, and audiocubes do not load. On positive feedback none of the graphics and picture links on the opening page load.

I have tried every setting I can think of NIC, Norton, IE6, Router, etc. Nothing I've done seems to work. I have another computer on the same router and it works fine. It is an old machine running an earlier version of Norton and win2000. I swapped router positions to see if that made any difference. Nope, nada, nothing...

Help!
frown.gif

Thanks, Gary

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Can you access those sites if you type in the URL directly in the address bar? It sounds like a security setup issue. I do not have Norton but perhaps it is some interaction between Norton and IE6 where the security sees those sites as a threat. Have you tried disabling Norton for a short time to see if it has any effect? I usually start turning things off one at a time until I identify the program that is giving me problems. I then dig in and find out what is wrong with that program.

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Do the sites work when you manually type in the URL?

Another thought. I once had a similar problem when the pop up blocker I was using decided sites should not be opened. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Addendum:

Disabling ad blocker does indeed allow the Head-fi links to show up, but (using my previous example) does not allow those links on positive feedback.

Voodoo no doubt...
rolleyes.gif

g

Jun 22, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Norton personal firewall had "block secure sites" enabled. Deselecting allowed me to read Positive feedback correctly. I still get "cannot display page" errors on quite a few media sites, so some of the Norton ("Hey Norton!") settings must be screwing with my browser. One thing I don't understand though, why would these sites not load when I completely disable Norton?

G

Jun 22, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Somewhere in the program there should be rules and or a list of sites. Seems like you at least may have found the offending program.

Jun 22, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Just add the sites you have problems with to the Norton allow list.

Personal firewalls can get a bit too aggressive at times.
And unless Norton is fully un-installed, its always there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Any tests with alt browsers?

I once had a problem with XP and IP caching issues that caused some sites to not load. It progressively got worse over several months until Yahoo wouldn't load. Reinstalled clean XP (cause the browser is linked with the OS
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and it went away.

Jun 22, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks guys.

I will keep working at it. And yes, I tried Netscape but I really didn't care much for the layout. It didn't work much better either.

Oh well, you play, you pay!

Thanks again, and any other ideas, send 'em my way.

gb

Jun 22, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Have you tried uninstalling Norton for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back