Computer Efficiency + External HD
Feb 12, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
Everytime I play music on my external HD and surf the net, I get skips here and there. Is there anyway I can organize my computer so that it does not skip when I play music? It usually takes a few seconds to retrieve a song on the drive as well.

Is there a way to use less resources somehow, and maximize my efficiency for each hard drive and its usage simultaneously.

Sorry if the post is confusing. But the bottom line is I want to know if there is a way I can listen to music on my external HD while also using my computer/internet -- without experiencing skips?

Thanks

-Nikos

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 7
what kind of PC are you using (eg: an old P2 500, a new A64 3400+) and what interface is the external hard drive? Firewire? USB 1.1? USB2 hi-speed? USB2 full-speed?

Feb 13, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 7
I agree with Mac, sounds like you're running a USB 1.1 connection there with high bit rate or lossless files. One thing that you may want to consider is defragmenting the drive. It may help minimally, but probably won't solve your problem.

May 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
what kind of PC are you using (eg: an old P2 500, a new A64 3400+) and what interface is the external hard drive? Firewire? USB 1.1? USB2 hi-speed? USB2 full-speed?

I use Firewire. I have a PIII 368MB Ram, 1ghz

May 5, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 7
thats why. your computer is not powerful enough to stream music from external HDD

May 5, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 7
i would suggest just buying a new hard drive and installing it inside your case
an 80 gig can be had for around 50-60 USD if you look and that would solve most of your problems though it will still be slow playing music and surfing the web on a PIII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back