computer di/o spdif buzz?
Apr 13, 2003 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MichaelFranks

1000+ Head-Fier
M-audio audiophile (spdif) -> art di/o -> mod ha-1
straightwire spdif, kimber rca's

There is a low buzzing that is very apparent when I turn the volume all the way up with nothing playing. Wondering what could be causing it, since it is not apparent with the rca outs.

Any suggestions appreciated, not sure if I should just skip the spdif altogether or what.

Apr 14, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 10
Start isolating components one at a time to nail down the source fo the hum -- sounds like a ground loop problem to me. A couple suggestions:
Make sure everything is plugged into the same outlet.
You may want to go optical for the SPDIF if you still have problems -- this will electrically isolate your digital source.

Apr 14, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 10
I've got the same problem from my nv500s - Di/O - Melos. I always assumed it was the amp messing up due to the high voltage output of the Di/O, but i've never tested the theory out

Apr 14, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 10
optical spdif is not an option with my soundcard/operating system. I did move them both to the same outlet and that helped a tiny bit, the buzz is still present.

Why would that make a difference, since the rca appears to be working fine? How can I troubleshoot this without buying a seperate entirely new component for each aspect of the system?

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 10
"bump"ing this thread because the problem is really starting to drive me crazy. It has to be the di/o or the audiofile spdif out.

Can anyone provide some insight into how to isolate/troubleshoot this problem and figure out if it is the card or the di/o?

Also, is there any benefit at all in running the analog (rca) outs on the audiofile into and back out of the di/o on the 1/4" jacks? Would that somehow be doubling the d->a conversion?

Any help appreciated!

Apr 27, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 10
Adding resistors into the interconnects, to effectively lower the ouput voltage of the Di/O should fix the problem

Apr 27, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Give details of your PC, especially what card you're using.

I would suggest that this is a problem specific to the card unfortunately; PCs are awful electronic environments and there'll probably be some interference inside the computer affecting the little chips processing the signal. All I can suggest is trying the card in another computer, preferably with as few other components around as possible.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 10
You're suffering from a ground loop. Get cheater plugs from a hardware store or Radio Shack (shouldn't be much more than about $0.70 each) and use them on all but one component (preferably your amp or preamp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back