Computer causing hissing in Yamaha HS80M's
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mva5580

New Head-Fier
While it's not like a huge overbearing hiss or anything.....you know the deal. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

So I've got these Yamaha HS80M speakers and I absolutely love them, but I just cannot get rid of this hiss. And I know that it is because of my PC because once I turn the PC off, it goes away. I've tried putting the speakers on the same power strip, on a different power strip, putting the PC on a separate power strip, and it's just still there. Not going away. The way I hook up the monitors is I have an XLR to 3.5mm cable that then goes into a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, which then runs into my Soundblaster X7. Does anyone have any recommendations for maybe being able to get rid of this hiss? Because I tend to think that if I can't solve it, I may just have to move on from them. Which I'd rather not do but again....can't unhear it. Thanks for any advice.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Jun 8, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 6
In the past I owned a pair of Hs80m's that hissed, and found out its normal when sitting close to the speakers. However, you mention that it goes away when the pc turns off - the hiss that the speaker produces would stay on at all times. So it may be ground loop you are hearing. With ground loop interference, just moving the mouse around on your computer can trigger a whine that sounds like its whirling up and down.

You mention you use an Rca adapter in your cable chain.. If you use rca male cables in your setup, connecting L and R to one of these (anywhere in the chain) should clear up ground loop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Link-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B000NVWB9O

I had ground loop with my Hs80m's and this cable removed the noise completely.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the responses, yeah I have a 1/4" TS to RCA plug that I've tried, and I get the same result. I've also tried using that cable to an internal sound card other than the X7, same result. I have all of the computer components on one outlet, and the 2 speaker cables going to a different outlet.

I've never tried one of those ground loop isolaters before though....looks like something worth taking a look at. I see my local Best Buy has one in stock so I will head over there on my lunch break and pick it up. Thanks for the tip, we'll see if it helps!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-ground-loop-isolator/9855136.p?skuId=9855136

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 6
In the past I owned a pair of Hs80m's that hissed, and found out its normal when sitting close to the speakers. However, you mention that it goes away when the pc turns off - the hiss that the speaker produces would stay on at all times. So it may be ground loop you are hearing. With ground loop interference, just moving the mouse around on your computer can trigger a whine that sounds like its whirling up and down.

You mention you use an Rca adapter in your cable chain.. If you use rca male cables in your setup, connecting L and R to one of these (anywhere in the chain) should clear up ground loop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Link-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B000NVWB9O

I had ground loop with my Hs80m's and this cable removed the noise completely.

So I tried the isolater and all of that humming/hissing is GONE!! Amazing. Thank you so much for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back