Computer Audio System
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Quake120

100+ Head-Fier
[size=small] I have a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system that I bought for ~$100 about a year and a half ago, and I'm thinking it is time to upgrade to something much much better. Please tell me your opinions on this setup: (Please, be honest, but remember I want to keep this below $1000 total for now so please don't suggest buying a $2000 receiver or $1200 floorstanding speakers, etc). I'm just going for something that will sound good, but it doesn't have to be super audiophile quality.[/size]

[size=small] Subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349923896&sr=8-3&keywords=polk+subwoofer[1][/size]

[size=small] Front Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi200-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0018QRO9A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349923930&sr=1-2&keywords=polk+bookshelf[2][/size]

[size=small] Receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN1010-7-1-Channel-V-Receiver/dp/B003JC3Z58/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349923968&sr=1-5&keywords=Sony+receiver[3][/size]

[size=small] That subwoofer is huge for the size of the room it will be in (12x14), but I want the option to move it to a much larger room when I move. I also realize that Sony isn't exactly what you'd call 'audiophile' gear, but again, the $1000 total I can spend is limiting my choices here.[/size]

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 10
First off, the websites AVSforum and AVforum are more geared for questions about home audio gear.
You might get more value for the money by buying used stuff off Craigslist.
Did you plan to hook this up to your computer's built in audio or get an add-on sound card?
Do you want the A/V receiver to have surround sound for headphones?
(I'm assuming you have headphones as your on Head-Fi) What headphones do you own?
Is this just for music? or movies and gaming?
I'm not sure regular Sony receivers win any awards (I'm sure their ES series do).

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 10
You are correct. I have Sennheiser HD595s and MDR-V6 as my primary headphones. I have some in ears, but those won't be used with this system at all (They are my "at work" headphones). I have an optical out for audio on my PC, so I could use that, but it is just the onboard card, so nothing special. A dedicated sound card is definitely on my list of things to purchase. 
Somebody on Reddit suggested the Logitech Z906 5.1 pack as a lower-priced, but still good option. Any opinions? What about an Onkyo receiver instead of that Sony? Probably don't want to go more than $300 - $400 on a receiver.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
You are correct. I have Sennheiser HD595s and MDR-V6 as my primary headphones. I have some in ears, but those won't be used with this system at all (They are my "at work" headphones). I have an optical out for audio on my PC, so I could use that, but it is just the on board card, so nothing special. A dedicated sound card is definitely on my list of things to purchase. 
Somebody on Reddit suggested the Logitech Z906 5.1 pack as a lower-priced, but still good option. Any opinions? What about an Onkyo receiver instead of that Sony? Probably don't want to go more than $300 - $400 on a receiver.

I've owned three Onkyo A/V receivers and would take one over a Sony, that just me personally.
You could get the Z906 ($320) and maybe as get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card ($70-$90), chances are the Xonar DX/D1 DAC (CS4398) is better then the DAC that comes in the Z906 (or in the motherboard's built in audio)
You could have both analog (3 wires) and optical hooked between the Z906 and DX/D1
Check your local Craigslist, sometimes someone sell off their used 5.1 home audio system for way under it's true value.
If you bought new (or good used) A/V receiver and new 5.1 speakers, I would try to talk you into spending at least $600-$800 for something worth it.
Is this 5.1 for movies or gaming?

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
You are correct. I have Sennheiser HD595s and MDR-V6 as my primary headphones. I have some in ears, but those won't be used with this system at all (They are my "at work" headphones). I have an optical out for audio on my PC, so I could use that, but it is just the on-board card, so nothing special. A dedicated sound card is definitely on my list of things to purchase. 

If your motherboard's buily in audio comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) you might be able to get away from buying an add-on sound card.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Honestly, if u willing to spend up to a grand there is absolutely no place for PC/Mulitmedia stuff IMO! Compared to better stuff these are quickly and cruelly exposed for their poor build and cheap muddy sound. As said earlier best hit AVS specifically the speakers, receiver and subwoofer sub forums
L3000.gif
At $200ish for a receiver one ought to really look at the Denon AVR 1612 with Audyssey ^^  Pass HDMI out of your PC

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Thanks, all! I'm going to head over to AVS and see what they think. 
I found this:  http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1712-Surround-Receiver-Black/dp/B004ZP72MU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Based on the reviews (both pro and just product reviews by people who have bought it), I think that may have to be the one!

If you buy the Denon AVR-1712 straight from Electronics Expo and use the coupon code "BOUNTII" price is $278.01 shipped.
Buying off Amazon price is $323 and it's still shipped from Electronics Expo.
323 minus 278.01 is 44.99,
I just saved you $44.99 :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
If you buy the Denon AVR-1712 straight from Electronics Expo and use the coupon code "BOUNTII" price is $278.01 shipped.
Buying off Amazon price is $323 and it's still shipped from Electronics Expo.
323 minus 278.01 is 44.99,
I just saved you $44.99 :)

Thank you, sir!! I owe you!

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 10
That Denon you are getting is a good choice for a receiver. 
biggrin.gif

For subs, the Polk PSW505 is probably a best value when it's $200. At $250, I'd save money and go for the BIC F12 instead or step up to the BIC PL-200 (offer Acoustic Sound Design $280).  The PSW505 might have a slide edge over the F12 for music, but probably not worth the extra $50 (considered same class of sub). The BIC PL-200 is a step up in class in SQ and overall SPL. And don't worry about the sub being too much for the room. You'll use Audyssey MutliEQ XT on the receiver to automatically calibrate the sub to match up with whatever speakers you get.  

As far as the Polk TSi series, it's mainly just a cosmetic upgrade over the Polk Monitor series. Newegg constantly runs specials on the Polk Monitors. For instance, you can get the Monitor60 towers for $149 ea, only a little more than the TSi 200s on Amazon, and it is basically the same speaker as the TSi400. That would leave you enough in your budget to pick up the matching Polk CS2 center

Users who are viewing this thread

Back