Computer Audio Setup, Complete NOOB help
Apr 21, 2008 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rukawa11

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I will either be getting a sennheiser hd600 or k701 and i just bought a computer with an integrated sound card and i also just purchased an onkyo receiver. I understand for computer audio a dac is essential so i guess i will be getting that as well. I'm going to setup my computer as a media pc and I'm just not sure what other devices to get to set this whole thing up, and also how to set it up(i.e. what plugs into what). I want to be able to use the headphones to listen to the TV, PS3 and the Comp. Right now i just have the ps3 connected to the plasma tv via hdmi. Would i then connect the plasma to the receiver using rca cables(or would i use other cables for better sound), and then connect the sound card from the computer to the receiver via coax/optical, and then connect the amp to the receiver? Then where does the dac come in? and also if the tv and the comp is connected to the receiver how will i be able to watch tv through speakers and listen to music from pc through headphones at the same time?
Sorry if what i wrote is confusing but basically this is what i have and will be getting and i just wanted to know how to hook it up. Thanks a lot for ur time guys!!!!!!!

What i have/will be getting within the week:
Computer
Plasma TV
Receiver
Headphones(hd600 or k701)
PS3

What I will get in addition to make this work(let me know if any of these aren't needed or you have other suggestions):
DAC(octavart or Zero)
Amp(ld mkv or mk2)
Soundcard(x-fi extrememusic)

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Squeezebox
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 5
wow thats a great suggestion, i totally forgot about that. so i would connect the dac to the squeezebox's digital out and then use the line out of the dac to the receiver and then line out again to an amp and plug the headphones in the amp right? but since both the squeezebox and the ps3/tv are connected to the receiver, how will i listen to music through headphones using squeezebox while simultaneously having my surround sound speakers play while im watching tv? wow im so sure its so much more simple than what i think it is but im so confused right now.

edit: just realized i dont want a squeezebox since i will be playing movies and games on the pc not just music. plus thats another $300 to fork over. or is there another unseen benefit i dont see about the squeezebox.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Just get a high quality soundcard instead of using the integrated audio since youll get alot of noise that way. B-Gears has one of the best audio sound cards that has a great digital to analog converter as well as nearly no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back