Computer audio / networking newb needs help
Sep 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Alphanewb

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've searched high and low to find possible solutions for our situation and while I've found some answers I've got way more questions than before!

Here is what we have in the home currently:

1) A home theatre in our basement including an Oppo 103, harmony touch remote and wii u among other components

2) An office where we have our home computer (a relatively new lenovo laptop with 1TB storage)
our office is also home to an oppo ha-1 and Alpha Dogs.

3) Our wireless router (ASUS RT-N56U) is in our basement electrical room adjacent to our Cable provider's modem. It is not in the office as we have no hardwire/Ethernet cable that runs to the office.

4) Clients: I-pad 2, ipad mini, 2 ipod touch, 1 iphone 6, 1 Samsung S6 edge (coming soon), my Lenovo thinkpad work laptop

5) Media Software: JRIVERMC20 on my work laptop and JREMOTE on the Ipad2 (which I've not used)

6) We a TV's (and AV receiver) in the family room and another TV in the bedroom

This is what I do today:

I just recently got into headfi and computer audio so I've ripped about 2 dozen CD's and purchased some high resolution music which is on my work lap-top. To date I mostly use my oppo-ha-1 when I bring work home and connect my work lap-top to it. I have on occasion used my (soon to be replaced) Blackberry passport to listen to some music via Bluetooth aptx on the oppo.

The home theater is used for live TV and Netflix via wifi through the oppo. Our physical media is on display in our home theatre so I haven't bothered trying to access media on our network. 

This is what I would like:
1) To remove my music from my work laptop and eventually rip all my redbook CD's (about 300 or so) to a centralized location that will be accessible from various clients on our network

I have considered the following options for this:

a) using our existing office laptop with or without an external drive for storage
b) purchasing NAS to be attached to our router
c) purchasing an external USB drive to attach to the router

2) To use my galaxy S6 as a DAP (connected to the ha-1 via OTG). But I'd like to be able to stream the music from the library in it's original format / bandwidth etc.

I understand that GIZMO can be used with MC20 to access the music via the S6 but I'm not sure if this can work with the storage options listed above.

3) To access the music (and eventually pictures, video etc.) from the home theatre room using the oppo 103.

4) To use the Jremote app on the ipad2 to control media accessed by the oppo in the home theater room

5) To use Jremote to control music being played via the S6/oppo ha-1

I appreciate that I have asked a lot of questions here but any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Do you know if the Oppo has DLNA support?

Certain NAS setups (ds214play come to mind) come with DLNA options which will allow any device with DLNA support to play music/video files. XBox/PS4/Marantz SR series for me can all stream the audio/video files.

I know iOS has DLNA player options (8Player etc) so I'd assume Android would as well.

Another option might be a Plex, but I don't think the Oppo has support (I could be wrong).

And I have no experience with Jremote. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back