Computer as source
Dec 28, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

TKSingh

Head-Fier
OK, no arguements about the merit of using a computer as a source, PLEASE.

I have a decent CDP hooked up to my setup for critical listening. However I would also like to rip those to my hard drive and also listen to some MP3, when having a party etc. My computer is just on the opposite side of an interior wall so distance is not an issue.

1. I have onboard sound card, I could use a mini- stereo to RCA's
to my receiver.

2. Buy a better soundcard with digital out and connect that to my receiver.

3. Buy a better soundcard with digital out and connect to an external DAC (like the ART/D/IO) and connect this through analog out to receiver.

OK, which is best option? I have heard that most receivers now convert analog to digital again anyways so will the external DAC be pointless?

I have a Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver. Also I have a Wheatfield HA-1 coming, does the ART have more than one set of outs? if not Could I hook up the amp to the receiver without much degradation of the signal? (that way I could also listen to all the inputs in to my reciever with my headphone amp, right)

any other thoughts, comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 27
Hi Ken,

If you don't want flames about using your computer as a source... I think you'd have to say that you was going to rip into a lossless (WAV) format
cool.gif
cool.gif

If the onboard sound is based on the AC97 chipset... an upgrade would definetly be worthwhile
wink.gif

As to what though, I don't really know... The UK seems to be bursting at the seams with SoundBlaster, but not a helluva lot else
frown.gif

Hopefully someone else can chime in here though
wink.gif

And, as to an outboard (in your case receiver) DAC... its doable, I have rigged my computer up in the past to my Cambridge Audio DAC with positive results
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 27
I use MP3s for parties all the time . Nothing beats picking out the songs you want to hear without playing an entire CD (also have a CD jukebox , 50+1 ).

I have been using the X-10 "MP3/MUSIC Anywhere" (earlier model) for years . Full remote control plus the signal transmits to the amp (RF) .

MP3 based music , while not the ultimate for critical listening , is just fine for party music . Any shortcomings are masked by the event itself .

Dec 29, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 27
I use my computer as a jukebox by ripping my CD's to wav files and then using the digital out from the Audigy into a jitter reducer then a DAC and finally into my amp and my headphones. The sound is exquisite and the benefit of having thousands of songs randomly playing is incredible.

Dec 29, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
I use my computer as a jukebox by ripping my CD's to wav files and then using the digital out from the Audigy into a jitter reducer then a DAC and finally into my amp and my headphones. The sound is exquisite and the benefit of having thousands of songs randomly playing is incredible.

how do you use your digital out for headphones?

this peaks my interest.

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 27
any soundcard that has a digital output can be hooked up to an external DAC or as msjjr stated jitter reducer and then DAC . Once you have the analog signal from the DAC output it can be treated as any other line output and sent to either a headphone amp or amp and speakers (or both)

Rick

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr

Hold on a sec... you've got R10s and you are using an Audigy as your computer sound card?? You know you're not getting a pure digital signal, right? I think you might want to look into some professional sound cards which can output 24/96 digital so you can enjoy your multi-thousand dollar headphone's full potential. M-Audio has some great solutions at a relativley nominal price (~$300).

Dec 29, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 27
I say wait for the Maudio revolution and use coax digital out to your receiver. I wouldnt' spend too much $$$ on this as a party doesn't demand the best quality.

Dec 29, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 27
I do get a true digital output. The Audigy Platinum has digital (SPDIF) coaxial as well as optical inputs and outputs. The external DAC is upsampling tp 24/192.

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 27
I'd hate for you to waste your money when you can get a cheaper product that'll do the same thing, and what I believe with higher fidelity. Try a M-Audio Delta DiO 2448 (not the 2496, that's more expensive)

Dec 29, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 27
Thanks Audio&Me,
I could not find the DIO 2448, but the revolution is only $99 and seems to be their cheapest card.

Cheers
Ken.

ps. if anyone knows of another decent audio quality card that is less expensive and has coax out, please advise !

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back