Compression Listening Test Rig?
Dec 10, 2004 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

descartes

New Head-Fier
I'm building a ridiculously elaborate media server for my home system to use as a prototype for a radio broadcast solution that I'm working on. I plan on conducting a long round of blind listening tests on all the compression formats I'm considering for the files on the media server, so I need to radically upgrade my current headphone setup. Right now, I'm using an AudioTRAK Optoplay and a pair of Sony MDR-V700 for listening, which is a great solution for DJ cueing on my laptop, but isn't the best for subtle fidelity comparisons. In particular, the closed-ear design of the Sony's really sucks the spaciousness out of my recordings.

I want to go from
Optoplay -> Sony MDR-V700's
to
Ego Systems Waveterminal u24 -> Headamp Gilmore Lite -> AKG K501's

which is going to set me back $750.

Does anyone have a better suggestion at less than or equal to that price point? The most important acoustical consideration for my setup is resolution and definition. Some of the lossy codecs in my comparison are famous for reducing the impact and muddying the sound, and it's important for me to hear exactly how bad that's going to be.

Edit: Changed SR-125's to AKG K501's.

Dec 11, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by descartes

I want to go from
Optoplay -> Sony MDR-V700's
to
Ego Systems Waveterminal u24 -> Headamp Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR-125's

which is going to set me back $750.

Does anyone have a better suggestion at less than or equal to that price point? The most important acoustical consideration for my setup is resolution and definition. Some of the lossy codecs in my comparison are famous for reducing the impact and muddying the sound, and it's important for me to hear exactly how bad that's going to be.

You'd probably be better off with the SR-225s or the Alessandro MS-1s if you're gonna stay grado. The 125s arn't well loved around here. If you're looking for detail and clarity, you might also take a peak at the HD580s with a headphile silver cable... although that combo is probably about $100 more than your current budget.

Dec 11, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm not sure if you need a Gilmore Lite with the SR-125s. My MS-2 is driven well enough it seems by the M-Audio Transit...I haven't heard it amped though, so take my post for what you will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back