Compression help
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vorlik

Head-Fier
I have some audio files saved as FLAC. How can I use these to get compressed mp3 files from them? Is there a way using EAC?

You see, I'm trying to archive my music collection as FLAC (lossless, right?) and I want to know how do get mp3s out of them for my portables.

Also, can I have some instructions on how to do alt-preset-standard mp3s with EAC/LAME? I tried putting "alt-preset-standard" in the extra command line under External Compressor and chose 160kbps VBR, then ripped it. All I got were WAV files...

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Ok. I downloaded dbPowerAmp. Now when I open the music converter, the FLAC files don't show up in the menus, only the WAVs and MP3s do. How can I fix this? I need to be able to convert FLAC into MP3.

Another question: what is MP4? I've heard of it, but I don't know what it is...

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks soo much, carlo. I am now in teh midst of ripping my CD collection to FLAC.

I already had many file encoded at 96kbps-160kbps mp3. Do you think I should keep these on my HD or delete them and just keep the FLAC files?

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 7
vorlik,

I'm new to this myself, and much of what I know is information grinch, tanfenton and audio&me taught me. Others here have put information in the archives and know more than I do.

For 360 albums, FLAC takes 101.6 GB of my harddisk space while mp3 uses 24.0 GB. If you're low on space I think you should delete the mp3s and invest in audio before storage. I did the opposite and now have a computer set-up I mostly use with mp3s -- its audio performance, even with FLAC files, doesn't come close to my stand alone CD player. So, I've invested a couple hundred dollars in harddisk space and many hours ripping CDs, and now need to spend several hundred dollars more on audio hardware to use my investment effectively. I feel pretty stupid about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back