Compression Formats
Apr 20, 2002 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Clubkill

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering how people felt about various compression formats. More specifically, the new ATRAC and also mp3 compression. I realized upon getting some legitimate cans that 128 bit mp3's were just not quite enough. However, 160 seems to be alright, or at least reaches the deficiencies of my soundcard, and higher than that does not seem to matter. In terms of the minidisc compression, I am not sure that I could always spot the difference between a high-bitrate mp3 and a md (this is all assuming the hp jack is perfect, i.e. no loss from soundcard). Where would everbody put minidisc compression compared with high bitrate mp3's? Are these compression formats clean enough for everyone's taste, or are any of them just not worthy of listening to, even if run through a nice amp? Negelct for this discussion the benefits of a portable mp3 player, for example, and just focus on the sound quality itself.

Apr 24, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 5
It depends upon encoder software.

A LAME MP3 encoder will give great results at or above 192kbps.
A WMA V7 or V8 are ok at 96kbps and better at 128kbps and above. The "longer than 74 minute" Atrac MD schemes are yech.

When I make an MP3 CD for my car, I use 256kbps for classical, 192kbps for the rest. Now with my MP3 jukebox I use 128kbps WMA.

I am happy with results.

After all, they are only portables.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 5
The "longer than 74 minute" Atrac MD schemes are yech.
You're using 128 kbps WMA and saying that 132 ATRAC LP2 sounds yech...........
tongue.gif

I personally think ATRAC LP2 is barely acceptable - portably.

SP is just much "fuller".......

Apr 27, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 5
Standard ATRAC is better than any MP3 I've ever heard.

LP2 is comparable to the best 192-256k MP3s.

LP4 is really only OK for mono/speech (much like 96k-128k MP3, IMO).

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 5
I think SP MD recordings are as close to "CD" quality as you can get. 192kbps+ MP3s ain't bad, but then you get some shockers at 320kbps. I had a 56kbps MP3 and it sounded better.
LP2 isn't bad, but is best suited to specific types of music.
LP4 is voice recording in my book, but I guess is ok if you are in a noisey environment.
Then again, you can get some very good MP3s. I guess what this format lacks is the general standardization of ATRAC. Every MD unit sounds pretty much the same, except for the early models.

I think ATRAC gets my vote, but I have not yet heard the Ogg Vorbis format. .wma is good at 128kbps+ (mine are all 192kbps), but I don't know how 64kbps can be "CD quality", nor how 48kbps can be "near CD quality".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back