compression depression
Jun 4, 2002 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

schiss

Head-Fier
Most of what I've been buying lately is rock, so I expected the compression typical with most of my recordings. But I'm disappointed with the new Weezer disc... it's one level for a full 34 minutes... I don't think my power level meters budged. I know they're using lots of compression to get that choppy, fast starting and stopping guitar sound, but holy cow... this stuff could be so much more exciting with wider swinging dynamics. Is all this compression/limiting necessary? OK, that's it for my little pitty party.

Schiss

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
yagh! Which weezer disc is this? I just bought one of their albums online(2001?)

green album! that's it!

Sounds like the green album, its a short mother...and yes...mucho compression...wait till you hear the lack of dynamics in Rivers vox...scary....great cd though!

Jun 4, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 11
yagh! I just ordered it! I hope it doesn't sound too bad.
frown.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 11
not the green album... their newest, "Maladroit". I guess that's their sound. Maladroit translates roughly to "bungling", and I'd say that pretty much describes the recording engineer! Ah, what the hell, I enjoy the tunes anyway.

Jun 6, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
ok, thanks, wasn't sure. How is green album, btw?

its compressed to hell....it really is...nothing like the Blue album which rocked

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 11
I remember watching my spectrum analyzer during the J. Geils Band's Freeze-Frame. Not only was it compressed, it was multi-band compressed.

I also remember really liking the sound, and thinking that I would try to emulate this sound on any recordings I do.

I'll have to listen to it again to see if I still feel that way.

I have to admit to a certain preponderance towards "accuracy" lately (as in classical music), but I also feel that compression has its place as well (the car, for example; parties and bars, for another).

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 11
I would like to see compression and 'loudness' switches in certain electronics. They could be utilized in less than ideal environments, ie. car, boombox, noisy acoustic environment.

btw, I hate compression too.

Team Un-Compressed

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 11
I hope you all don't think I'm daft or something, but what exactley are you talking about? I don't have any "spectrum analyzer " on my equipment, so I can't see what this is. I am not familiar with Weezer yet. I need an example.
I have noticed that some bands will sound less dynamic than others even though they otherwise sound similar in style. Quiet Riot comes to mind. I like their music but I can't stand to listen to it if I put it on a CD with anything newer like Motley Crue or Buckcherry. Is this due to compression?

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Compression is where you lower the level of the peaks and raise the level of the troughs in relation to the rest of the song. (Layman's Terms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back