Compressing stereo CDs to AAC mono?
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
Most of my Coltrane collection uses hard L/R panning and I find it hard to listen to with headphones. I store all music on my computer using 256 VBR AAC. I figured I could just compress those problematic CDs by setting the channels to MONO. Now when I rip a CD the bitrate reads 160 VBR AAC. Why is that? Is the quality different?

Thank you.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 9
crossfeed is the key to making those hard panned tracks easier to listen to on headphones without going to the extreme of ripping to mono

also mono requires less bitrate to get the same level of sound quality from compressed formats

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FAIL

shut up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
crossfeed is the key to making those hard panned tracks easier to listen to on headphones without going to the extreme of ripping to mono

also mono requires less bitrate to get the same level of sound quality from compressed formats

without going to the extreme? i'm not following you.

also i'm sorry for posting this in the lounge i meant to post this in sound science

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Most media players have crossfeed plug-ins available that allow you to tailor the stereo imaging to your preference. Encoding in mono is going to the extreme since you're bound to lose some detail.

On another interesting note, most lossy codecs encode in joint stereo, meaning they use a mono signal and a difference signal used to reconstruct stereo.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shut up.

don't get your knickers in a knot

Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
without going to the extreme? i'm not following you.

also i'm sorry for posting this in the lounge i meant to post this in sound science

ripping to mono is an extreme way to fix the panning issues. instead, it is possible to use a crossfeed plugin to allow a certain percentage of the left channel to bleed into the right, and vice versa. this way, hard panning will be mellowed out, without destroying the soundstage

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't get your knickers in a knot

ripping to mono is an extreme way to fix the panning issues. instead, it is possible to use a crossfeed plugin to allow a certain percentage of the left channel to bleed into the right, and vice versa. this way, hard panning will be mellowed out, without destroying the soundstage

i really hate it when people say fail.

ok that makes sense now. thank you. how do i go about ripping a CD with "crossfeed"? i looked on foobar's website but i couldn't find a plugin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back