Comprehensive DIY HD800 Balanced Cable Build Directions
Sep 11, 2016 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Greg Secrist

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the cable forum.   Rather than reading through all of the past threads, could someone please provide a single, straightforward answer?    The question is, has anyone posted a really good "go-to" procedure for sourcing the material and then building one's own HD800 balanced cable(s)?    And it should be for both the dual XLR cables (2x3pin XLR, left+right) AND/OR the single 4-pin XLR.    I'm pretty handy, just looking for a way to build a brand-new from stock parts without having to butcher the SE TRS cable that came with my HD800.  Thanks!  

If not, then I'd like to create one that could be used by anyone that is interested in doing things themselves, but just need a nudge and a point in the right direction.  I just picked up a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA to go with my balanced output NAD D1050.  Now all I need is balanced cable to get from the amp to my HD800 drivers.   Call me naive for not looking into cable costs before buying a balanced amp, but holy crap Batman, where do other people and/or companies get off charging $300-800 for a 6 feet length of copper wire and 4 connectors!!?? Seriously!!!???  And the cheapest aftermarket dual XLR balanced cable I could find was $140 on Ebay, but made and shipped from China.   This is ridiculous and robbery.  Granted, good silver clad OCC wire isn't cheap, and those HD800 connectors aren't either.  But come on ...  Ok, enough on the soap box.   Thus the reason for an option for us DIY'er's to take it on.   So if it hasn't been done yet, let's do it.  Let's build a DIY HD800 balanced cable building guide.  

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 4
You probably get a better response here http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/5820#post_12858771. If you need source options they can tell you if not I can also.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your reply and for pointing me in the right direction.   I was wondering if anyone was actually interested, or listening, since this is my first post and venture into Head-Fi.   I actually picked up some materials and attempted my first cable build.  Turned out great!  Might not look as finished and neat like those custom built cables, but it sounds fantastic!  My very first balanced amp/headphone experience, thanks to about $75 in materials.    Greg

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your reply and for pointing me in the right direction.   I was wondering if anyone was actually interested, or listening, since this is my first post and venture into Head-Fi.   I actually picked up some materials and attempted my first cable build.  Turned out great!  Might not look as finished and neat like those custom built cables, but it sounds fantastic!  My very first balanced amp/headphone experience, thanks to about $75 in materials.    Greg
Yes I saw all three of the same post and I'm sure a mod pointed out that is a no no ; ) I'm glad you found what you needed to build your cable and you like it as well. Some balanced amps are quite nice and some single ended can sound just as good also. If you don't mind me asking what cable and connectors did you use. I like to make my own cables also .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back