Composers like Craig Armstrong
Oct 24, 2007 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone out there doing stuff like Armstrong?

His take on classical music seems to me to be quite accessible, and very hooky. There are quite a few belters he's done, usually filled with emotion.

Balcoy Scene is a favourite of mine, as is his take on Badalamenti's Laura's Theme.

Anyone suggest some other composers out there with a similar kind of flair?

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Anne Dudley comes to mind: classically trained musician, with keen interest in electronic music (among the first who owned the Fairlight sampler back in the early 80s) and strong ties to the film industry. But perhaps she is so much in demand for commissioned works, she has very few personal albums to date. Take A Different Light as a start, then explore her works with the band Art of Noise.

Karl Jenkins has been more prolific, but most of his works are choral. For his instrumental works, try Diamond Music.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by subharmonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers for the tip Falcon...
I'm not to sure about Art of Noise - not really my kind of thing. Was she more of a collaborator with AoN rather than a fixture?

In fact, she is the mastermind behind Art of Noise.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Aha - didn't realise!!! I just couldn't get into that very technology heavy 80s stuff. In those days the technology was all so new that I don't think people knew how to use it properly. It was all sounds for effect. Not a lot of substance. This is just my opinion mind. Is the later AoN gear a bit more tastefully put together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back