components
Dec 30, 2003 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tourmaline

Headphoneus Supremus
discussion about components!

what do you think about components used in amps?
i feel they make an amp.
upgrading an amp with better audiofile components is not nuts.
can you tell if an amp should sound good by looking at it's design and components, even you didn't audition the amp? I think so.

there are a few audiofile components that are way above average
soundwise.
like stepped pot, black gate or elna caps, tantaal resistors etc.
can you tell if you have two exactly the same amps wich one is sounding best just by looking at it's components? i really do think so.
the first is made of components of say $0,50. sounds decent.
the second with the above components. should it sound way much better? i do think so, without even listening to both amps.

why else are so much people upgrading their systems with better components and are tuberolling?!

how much are you willing to spent for upgrading your amp?

so, give me your thoughts about this subject.

you think i talk rubbish, please do so, i can take it.
600smile.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you. Some folks shy away from "modifications" though and prefer to just buy a properly built unit from the start.

Dec 30, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 9
There are well built and well priced, and there are crappy built and overpriced. Overpriced and crappy build would be the RA1, anyone could build that amp for under $60 still it sells for $375 or something like that. Well built and well priced would be the HeadRoom amps, very nice components, not a single cheapo thing in them.

I would buy an amp from just looking at it's inside, the cleaner and simpler it is, the better the amp is, at least I think so
smily_headphones1.gif

Now next week im going to start my own DIY project, building an OTL Tube amp
biggrin.gif
cant wait till the stuff arrives in the mail!

Cheers, Mindless

Dec 30, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Personally I've always felt that Headroom amps are a little overpriced... I often find that other DIY amps available at the similar price points outperforms the headroom amps at that particular given price point.

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Allright, they may be overpriced, but not compared to Grado's RA1
smily_headphones1.gif
But the quality of the HeadRoom amps surpasses the RA1 with HORSELENGHTS (withing the same pricerange)

Anyhow, its all personal thoughts, as I myself think the blockhead for $4000 with steppen is FAR beyond reasonable for SS amps.

Anyway, cheers!

Mindless.

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Have to agree there... Headroom's amps are all very "solid", as in external construction... even if the internal parts might not be any better. I guess they spent a lot of money on the casing?
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, the RA-1.. er.. ugly.. cheap.. er.. although some people praise their sound quality. Then again, I think Grados are ugly.. cheap.. Goes with the styling I suppose.
smily_headphones1.gif

And nothing but agreement on Blockhead's pricing as well...

Dec 30, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Musical Fidelity only ever use commercial grade resistors,caps etc even in their Tri Vista equipment and yet it sounds fantastic.Circuit design is as (if not more) important as expensive components

Jan 2, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
the main influence has to be the design; fancy components just squeezee the last bit of potential from it. Crappy design = crappy sound

g

I have to agree. the more i read about it, the more i am convinced that the best components are the dot on i.

the design and the best components together will make a better amp. but sometimes it can make more then a little diference changing from standard to audiofile grade components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back