Components Required for Hooking up Amp.
Dec 5, 2004 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Squibbles

100+ Head-Fier
Alright. I'm finally ready to order and setup my first amp. I've decided on the Shell Brook Lab Maxi Moy. I"ll be purchasing the amp and an AC Adaptor. But purchasing the amp only isn't enough, correct? What else do I need to connect the amp to my AV-710 Sound Card and Grado SR60 Headphones? For instance, what cables? And anything else.

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 15
I believe they also sell cables. So, check the cables section. I recommend, checking your soundcard manual for connections and then look for the maxi moy specs. There are two types: mini to mini and mini to rca. I think, the maxi moy uses mini jacks, so check your soundcard. Probably, you will need a mini to mini cable.
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Thank You. So the final result will be this?:

Chaintech -> mini to mini cable -> maxi moy -> grado

So the Grado's plug directly into the amp?

Thanks again!
Sorry for the numerous questions.

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
So the Grado's plug directly into the amp?

Yes.

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks!

Oh, one last, final question. haha. Sorry.

To adjust the volume, would I use the knob on the amp or continue using the volume control on the computer? Is it alright to keep the computer volume at max and only use the amp's own volume adjustment?

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm in the same boat as you, Squibs.

I'm purchasing the Maxi for my sound card too. Anyone know the quality of shell brook mini to mini cables? Or should I go elsewhere in purchasing cables? From the pictures, the cables look very nice.

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
Is it alright to keep the computer volume at max and only use the amp's own volume adjustment?

Yes, that is what you should do.

Dec 6, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Yes, that is what you should do.

Sorry Mr.Radar.Is not recommended maxing out the volume of the source. This is, because induces clipping on the hardware source. They should leave it a little under the full volume.

Dec 6, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
Sorry Mr.Radar.Is not recommended maxing out the volume of the source. This is, because induces clipping on the hardware source. They should leave it a little under the full volume.

It should only clip if the signal itself clips, unless the hardware is amplifying the signal (which, on the AV-710, it is not as the DAC's outputs are connected directly (well, though caps) to the jack).

Dec 6, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It should only clip if the signal itself clips, unless the hardware is amplifying the signal (which, on the AV-710, it is not as the DAC's outputs are connected directly (well, though caps) to the jack).

All the sound signals are passing thru the hardware mixer, via software, at the same time the DAC's of the card are resampling to the default bit depth. That's why maxing out the volume (mixer) is not good.
k1000smile.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 15
I did it. I finally did it.

I purchased:

1 Maxi Moy
1 Mini to Mini Cable
1 AC Adapter

= $160.00

I'm currently having buyer's remorse. But hopefully upon listening to it, I'll be satisfied. Stupid Head-Fi forums. If I never discovered Head-Fi, I'd be content with my cheap-o walmart buds.

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 15
How long does it usually take before an amp is ready for shipping? I have not received any information about my purchase. Drew is no longer replying to my emails, so I am currently dubious about my purchase. Perhaps I should have went with Headsave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back