components in the floor
Nov 24, 2002 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I'm not much of a tweaker. I'm kind of the anti-DarkAngel ... which somehow doesn't exactly make me an angel. I don't have any cones vibration pods or sandbags or anything.

What I do have is one standard Salamander audio rack that is now filled to the brim with components. In fact, it's overfilled by just a little.

The odd piece out in my case is an outboard power supply for the tube output stage of my CD player. It has a shiney chrome transformer on top of a black aluminum box that unfortunately just takes up too much veritcal space. So I have it... sitting on my carpet next to the rack.

I realize now that some of the more serious tweakers are shrieking in horror, but how bad is this? I know the player itself needs as stable a platform as possible, but does the power supply? Would it be worth my while to stop by a Home Depot or something to pick up some kind of block to sit it on? I can't really afford another rack for a while.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 9
I would put it on a cheap slab of something or a board, just to be certain it has good air flow, if it has vents on the bottom.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
I would put it on a cheap slab of something or a board, just to be certain it has good air flow, if it has vents on the bottom.

No vents - and the transformer sticking out of the top is what gets the warmest.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Kelly, if you're that concerned and you want to get out cheap, why not just pick up a cinder block or two?

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Kelly, if you're that concerned and you want to get out cheap, why not just pick up a cinder block or two?

smily_headphones1.gif

That's the first thing I thought of. Then I thought of all the stripped cars I've seen up on cinder blocks... nah...

tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Just another form of DIY my friend
biggrin.gif

kelly, how bout some spikes just to get it off the carpet. Wouldn't crush the carpet as much as blocks or such.

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 9
...rug's probably the best tweak there is.
biggrin.gif

just gotta write how you heard a "huge soundstage... phenomenol imaging... striking highs, thumping lows....." heh he. i bet you everyone would start doing it then.

but seriously.... i think i agree with Budgie... even though you think most oh the heat is on top, it wouldn't hurt to have better circulation in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back