used with a HD580/600:

An old portable CD player like the Sony D-25
or a Component CD player + amp

Whats a good Component Cd play and Amp combo
thats not too expensive?

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 13
Component CD player + amp
icon14.gif

Get yourself a decent cdp (keep in mind a good redbook is better than a bad HDCD) and try building a Class A mosfet. Or just go with a corda.

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 13
By "too expensive", how much are you refering to? Some popular choices are: HA-1 Corda ($260 DIY, $325 pre-built), Headroom Little ($260), MG Head OTL ($330). The Melos is also very good, but quite a lot more...

Apr 21, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 13
So in General...

I was thinking about the Corda Amp -
Does it cost so much because u have to buy the Kit
Or could u build one that costs significantly less
after scrounging around for the parts.

Is the MG Head amp better quality than corda?
Little Head Poorer Quality?
Is this so called Class A Mosfet the best DIY amp?

Actually, building an amp seems like a worthy venture.
I am, afterall a EE major. Too bad im only first year and
i havent touched anything having to do with circuitry yet

Is there any steps i can take that would help me
to make sense out of the many schemes of DIY amps out there?
I don't mind a lot of reading

What is a good HDCD brand? (im assuming HDCD is the
best type of component CD player) Does any HDCD
player do the trick? or is there a general quality difference
in them?

Recommend a few "cheaper" ones?

thanks a lot!

-Zodiac

Apr 21, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Hi Zodiac154!

I can't compare it to any of the other systems that you list, but for what it's worth, my current headphone system is the MG Head DT OTL with the Sennheiser 600. The combo sounds great in my honest opinion.

If you are looking for some things to read that will help you make sense of homebrewing your own amps,

1. If you're still learning schematic reading and good construction techniques try: http://www.tpub.com/neets/ There's a lot more than that at this site though, so it's worth a look regardless.

2. If you're looking for schematics for a project, try: http://headwize.com/projects/index.htm

3. If you're thinking about getting into valves ("tubes") go to:
http://duncanamps.com/tdslpe/ It's called the Tube Data Sheet Locator Personal Edition, and it's a freeware programme that will help you track down info on various valves (pinouts, heater voltages and currents, etc).

4. For a technical discussion of how a valve amp works go to:
http://www.audioxpress.com/resource/audioclass/ for a set of PDF files that will tell you a LOT about how power supplies and amps are designed.

5. If you do not have much experience with DIY electronics, I'd suggest the Chu Moy amp as a worthy first effort: http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy2_prj.htm You should be able to build it for less than $50. It would also give you a chance to experiment with crossfeed circuits and parts upgrades on the cheap. Moreover, there are no dangerous high voltages in the unit (though any power supply cap can still bite you, if given a chance).

Until you feel that you can safely work with the high voltages that you are going to encounter in homebrew valve equipment, I would advise that you stick to opamps and MOSFETs. No offence intended!

Good luck and
Enjoy Your Music!
Morse

Apr 21, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 13
The Sony D25S is, in my opinion, a very poor and outdated CD player that you'd pretty much have to be a Sony fanatic to appreciate--and then only for its retro all metal casing and high voltage headphone out. The DAC inside sucks by modern standards and you'd probably want to use an external amp anyway, as you've already asked about. If you do go portable, I don't recommend this route, despite the numerous people who would disagree with me.

The best portable CD players do not compete with even average mediocre home CD players. HDCD players are not necessarily better CD players, despite the additional feature.

The Corda HA-1 is an excellent amp that competes easily with more expensive headphone amps. If your budget is where the Corda is, I doubt you would regret buying one. Meier sells it in both kit and pre-built versions. See the web site. Somewhere on HeadWize is a list of all the components if you wish to build it without purchasing the kit. I've been told Jan Meier is still helpful and adviceful if you go this route.

The MG Head has a lush sweet midrange that is gained in exchange for speed and high and low frequency extension. If you want smoothness, this is almost certainly a better choice than the Corda--but I preferred the Corda.

This is all IMHFO, as a disclaimer.

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Cool, i think ill try to build myself an amp first.

Thanks for all the links ill get to reading them right away =P.

So if component cd play is better.. which ones would u
recommend?
I don't really care whether it holds 1 cd or 100 cds
Just as long as it has good decent quality among its
peers and built solidly.

Nobody has made any recommendations
yet...

Apr 21, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 13
I know this might upset some people on the forums, but I would NOT recommend the Denon DCM-370. I have it, and it skips on certian cd's. Most of the people on AudioReview would agree. The affordable HDCD players that I would recommend are the Rotels, and the Nad 541, or Cambridge 500se

Apr 21, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 13
I have been useing my stereo receiver and cd deck on my 580s. Then I got hold of an old supreme and had headroom (in progress) put a new modgerlar in it and raise the gain and it is up to par with the 450.00 new supreme amp. But from what I have read here, there are many other options that would do very well with the 580s. I find that even though the 580s are 300 ohms that the are not that hard to drive to optimal levels. I also find that the 580s are the best cans that I have ever had. Buy the way, I can run my mini disc that is 5 m/w to very good sound level with my total airhead. My pcdp is even louder at 8 m/w but the mini disc sounds better. So if you can find an old supreme for little money you could -------

Apr 21, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Tim,
did you buy your unit new, used or refurb? I have never had a single skipped track on mine, even with cdrs. I have not seen a complaint on headfi either.
By the way, I'm not upset, as my unit works like a charm.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Also to followup darkclouds, when shipped were the shipping screws intact (i.e. the ones that prevent damage to the transport mechanism during shipping).

Apr 22, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I know this might upset some people on the forums, but I would NOT recommend the Denon DCM-370. I have it, and it skips on certian cd's. Most of the people on AudioReview would agree. The affordable HDCD players that I would recommend are the Rotels, and the Nad 541, or Cambridge 500se

FYI: I don't think the D500SE has HDCD capability. If it does, I'll feel like a real dumbass for having owned one for the past several months and not knowing it.
tongue.gif

Aside from that, though, it's a great player and highly recommended (the silver version in particular).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back