component video cables
Dec 19, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Frequency response, signal loss, high frequency attenuation, hum rejection, capacitance, etc.

Kinda the same as good audio IC's but component handles 6Mhz signals so it's just harder on the cable to get it right.

Dec 21, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 6
There seems to be no set decision on this, for there are both excellent solid and stranded conductor component video cables out there.

That said, it seems to be that in using solid conductor it is easier to construct a solid performing video cable; when a solid center conductor is used a company can choose to go with a RG6 topology which is a known quantity with excellent performance characteristics for the bandwidth needed. Indeed, some people prefer to use actual RG6 cable with proper ends for the component connections as high quality (satellite compatible) RG6 is rated to much higher frequencies without substantial rolloff than is needed for component video use.

I just picked up Belden 7710A from Blue Jeans Cable for my video system:

Blue Jeans Cable

Blue Jeans Belden component cables page

Not expensive at all; $66 delivered for 12 ft run. Cheap!! Stunningly nice when you get your hands on it - garden hose anybody??
evil_smiley.gif
(not kidding there - the stuff is the size of smaller garden hose!) Very good quality, it seems. Nicely made, with very decent quality ends nicely applied. Unless you want to spend more on very high grade cable (in that case the 'good high end for the money' seems to be Bettercables.com) like Nordost or such this stuff is recommended.

Dec 21, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 6
I read an article on a site called a2z cables. They prefer RG59 over RG6 coax. They claim the RG6 is an 18 gauge conductor and is much thicker than you will ever need for typical video applications. The RG59 is a 20 guage conductor btw.

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm sure that is more than adequately true. But IIRC the TV cable industry switched from RG59 to RG6 not only because of frequency response but also due to other factors; IIRC RG59 has a much higher capacitance and other performance-related issues, especially under long runs. These long runs don't show up in use as home theater IC's, of course, but the (most people) figure it is still doing something to the signal and just go with RG6.

If a person wishes to use true coax as video IC the price difference of 6 versus 59 is so small across the lengths needed that, I guess, it just makes sense to use the "better" cable ( ?? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back