Component upgrades?
May 25, 2006 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
For the Ear+ amp I'm building, I'm using a really huge black gate cap in the power supply, purely because I love the way it looks
rolleyes.gif

Does using exotic components like this in a power supply actually make any difference, or do they only have that effect when in the signal path?

May 26, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
For the Ear+ amp I'm building, I'm using a really huge black gate cap in the power supply, purely because I love the way it looks
rolleyes.gif

Does using exotic components like this in a power supply actually make any difference, or do they only have that effect when in the signal path?

It's a widespread believe that what you're actually listening is the power supply. But to be able to hear a passive component behind an active one...
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 4
in the case of a tube amp, EVERYTHING has an effect on the sound.

unless this cap is before a choke, it will probably have a large efect on sound.
if it is before a choke, probably not as important. but still a fun place to drop some cash if you have it to spare.

in terms of the signal path:
in teh direct signal path (preamp/power tube "coupling" caps primarily) film is all you need to ever look at more than once.

May 26, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
It's a widespread believe that what you're actually listening is the power supply. But to be able to hear a passive component behind an active one...
rolleyes.gif

yeppo, its more the caps discharging than the psu suplying current.

build a tube amp with CHEAP and low grade caps in the psu. use however much you need to quiet the noise from the psu.

listen good and long.

swap caps for the same value of a better cap, and the first 30 seconds will tell you everything. your continued listening will reinforce this inital opinion.

build the psu with switchable caps, and jsut do a wheel of fortune blind test thing... have someone else wire it up so you cant tell which of say 4 options you have selected....

it is not always the most expensive caps that sound the best, nor is it the largest value of capacitance, but there are very large changes to me seen through your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back