Comply TX-100 came off in my ear! What do I do now?!
Jun 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bummrounde

Head-Fier
I put some tx-100 foam tips on my Etymotic HF3 earphones.  Been using the Comply for several months, ever since I found out Shure olives don't fit properly and break the stem.  I swapped a fresh set of tips on Friday, and now, Sunday morning, I took the earphones out and the left foam tip is still deep in my ear!  I'm starting to get a little anxious, I can't feel it with my fingertip and I can't see it in a mirror.  It's almost 2am but I'm afraid if I try to sleep it'll get pushed in further. 

Any suggestions or advice for getting this thing out?

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, that sure is a predicament. Have someone help you grab them out with a pair of tweezers, carefully of course.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 12
I have no tweezers and live alone.  I can't seem to find a suitable replacement object either.  These are the foam tips, which swell up considerably when wet, so I don't want to try soapy water either.  Worrisome...

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Time to go to the ER? You rather risk damaging your ears and not be able to enjoy music?

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Bummrounde, your situation and your avatar seem uniquely matched:)

Best go to the emergency room then, safety first.

I was just about to say the same.

Hope you got them out safely. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
I put some tx-100 foam tips on my Etymotic HF3 earphones.  Been using the Comply for several months, ever since I found out Shure olives don't fit properly and break the stem.  I swapped a fresh set of tips on Friday, and now, Sunday morning, I took the earphones out and the left foam tip is still deep in my ear!  I'm starting to get a little anxious, I can't feel it with my fingertip and I can't see it in a mirror.  It's almost 2am but I'm afraid if I try to sleep it'll get pushed in further. 

Any suggestions or advice for getting this thing out?

A Coat Hanger ??? LOLz

Good Luck, Jim

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 12
It's only polite that I update this. I recently moved to New York City, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to find a store selling tweezers. I was wrong. Long story short, I spent $9 at a Duane Reade for some genuine Japanese steel tweezers and carefully pulled the thing out. If I had to give advice to someone in the future, I would say go straight for the tweezers; do not try cotton swabs or massaging behind the earlobe and such. Doing so turned the darn thing sideways in my ear, and the hard grommet scratched the inside. I could've saved myself pain and time by not trying to do it half assed. Also, don't be scared of IEMs. This happened because I put them in as far as they could go, so I didn't have to hold them in place for 3-5 seconds for the foam to expand. I insert them properly as per instructions now and hope to have no more issues.

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Perhaps you should try the Comply Foam Canal Tips...

Much longer, and IMO provide a better seal.

The inner sound bore is also longer to provide a better grip on the iem stalk.

Glad you got it sorted out, Jim

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Shure olives fit absolutely perfectly and never damaged any of my Etymotics even after 20+ removals/applications. Actually, they fit so well, this kind of thing can't happen.

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 12
I myself have broken the stem off my HF3s using Shure Olives. They aren't meant for the Etys, though they do work. I'm not the only one to post the issue. It's definitely not guaranteed to cause this problem, but it isn't worth the risk imo. Definitely going to look into the Comply canal ones, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back