Comply tips
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard you really should not wash the Comply's. Supposedly they deteriorate. I am wondering whether to get Comply's for my Denon's but have been advised away from then as they don't last long and they get VERY waxy...

I've been using complys, foamies and olives for years and I find that once you wash them they are never the same so I hold off as long as possible or just toss them. While I know this is not recommended I have had great success LIGHTLY cleaning them with alcohol antiseptic wipes....the kind used before getting a shot. They are available at a drugstore individually packed for just a few dollars for like 200. The key is don't compress them much at all when cleaning.

Of course the best way is to keep the ears clean. I use a Q-tip daily AFTER I use a cotton T-shirt type material with finger in each ear right after showering. The little bit of moisture helps clean the ear. Sounds gross but if done daily I never see any residue anyway. A set of tips lasts me months....

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 19
After using the complys for a couple of weeks now I still like them but have noticed a couple of things not included in my original review.

The t-400 for the NE-8 still work OK. A bit of a trick to get them in right but I'm learning.

The t-100 for the q-jays I've really come to appreciate. They make them sound more solid and have better bass. They are harder to get in that the originals, but the effort is worth it.

The P series for the Ety 4s have been great once I made a few adjustments. The Ety foam tips have the solid inner tube going to the end of the foam tip. But the Comply has the tube ending short of the tip. This is good in that you don't get the tube scratching your ear canal as sometimes happened with the Ety foam.

However the end of the comply is susceptible to being squeezed shut or nearly shut. This negatively effects SQ. It happens especially after the tip has warmed up. The Ety sag down and this I suspect closes off the end of the tip. I countered this by rotating the Ety to the 2/20 o'clock positions (as opposed to the 5/7 o'clock positions I used before). This keeps the earphones properly aligned and has the added benefit of decreasing microphonics.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning (or not cleaning) the tips. I've always found that using some OTC ear cleaner and the accompanying bulb about once a month or so really helps keep the ear clean (and without sticking more stuff in my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back