Comply Foam Tips Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 26
Alright, you got me on that.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
ProjectDenz, this Westone tips thread of around 140 posts worth has alternatives. Right off the bat, one person wrote that the Shure olives created an nice seal and sounded superior to Comply.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/391213/your-favorite-w3-tips

Here's a couple of TF10 tips threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583297/seriously-tf10-owners-should-try-these-tips

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583446/got-tf10s-what-tips-to-try

Here's a thread dedicated to how awful TF10 sound with Complys:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542916/comply-tips-sound-awful-on-tf10

This thread describes how to surgically affix a Shure Olive to a comply tube for use with TF10:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/391859/shure-olive-mod-for-tf10

My feelings: IEM shouldn't present attributes that make the listener make specialized accommodations for it. Why struggle? Bottom line is that I learned to eschew IEM's that are challenging to match with my personal ear architecture. What good is a great sound others might hear if there's no seal to be had, or a seal that hurts, or a seal that goes wayward at the slightest movement, or a seal that makes you go through gyrations to affix. And last, one that causes pursuit of a seal ending with expensive and, for them, too-easily expendable Comply foam tips.

I believe that you forgot to factor in a couple of things.  Not necessarily everyone knows how to properly insert Comply tips.  And if inserted improperly, this causes the foam to collapse OVER the tube leading to a awful sounding IEM.  

What you have been showing us is anecdotal evidence that is insufficient suggest that Complys are bad.  Period.

There's a reason I ignore a majority of posts, no offense, because people don't have the experience necessary to give an informed and educated opinion that I'm usually looking for that others such as Average Joe, Project86 or |joker| and more can offer me.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 26
Sorry the noob question, but how do I actually use the comply tips? I've just installed the t400, medium size, and it seems the bass is all gone. They don't offer a good enough seal.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
Sorry the noob question, but how do I actually use the comply tips? I've just installed the t400, medium size, and it seems the bass is all gone. They don't offer a good enough seal.

In that case M size might be too small. I tend to use Complys that is one size bigger than my usual size when using silicone tips -- I'm usually using smaller size silicone tips, but M for Complys -- Since you have to pinch the thing and let it expand inside your ear canal for good, tight seal.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 26
Do you have the heir audio too? I cannot clearly see from the picture. Because I have the heir audio, and am not sure if I've installed the tips correctly.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
Do you have the heir audio too? I cannot clearly see from the picture. Because I have the heir audio, and am not sure if I've installed the tips correctly.

I had Heir 3.Ai and I also used T-400. I basically just force-jammed the tips into the stem, and it worked out just fine for me. It's just that I was using Comply one size bigger than my usual size so the foam sticks tighter into my ear canals' surface after expanding.

Just make sure that you pinch the Comply before putting it into your ear canals and let the foam expand. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 26
I would like to join and appreciate a lot large T-400's. I put them on my cx300-II and I'm very happy. They are very comfy - I completely forget that I have any phones in my ears, and that isolation - just perfect. I can listen at so low volumes now without hearing people in the office, and in the train. :wink:

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 26
I have tried them in the club standing next to the loudspeaker. It was shouting at me so loud, so I just couldn't stand it and I put on cx300 with these foams. Isolation was sufficient to actually play some songs from my phone and not hear what is going outside at all. Off course I had to play on full volume, but still it was less loud than in the club!!!

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #25 of 26
Don't know what I would do without T400s, but the Shure olives are good for what they fit. I also had no idea about the patent thing though, but my tips last a lot longer than a week.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #26 of 26
Glad to see our fans instructing others about Comply! For superior memory foam tips, you gotta expect to pay some cash for them. A pair of tips should last the "average" user about 3 months... so $5 for 3 months is hopefully worth it! 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Comply tips and how to properly use/insert them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back