Comply - but more durable
Apr 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

skiflyer

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of relatively cheap IEM's... the old school Sony EX51's before they used the self-dismantling cable. I think if you shop around you can pick them up for $15 or less now a days.

I've long since given up on the rubber tips and much much prefer the comply foam tips... but I use these for the gym and daily commuting so they have a relatively short lifespan for me. Paying the price of the headphones over again every year + shipping is starting to seem a little silly.

Any one know of a similar technology that may be more durable? Or do I just need to suck it up and stock up?

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 8
If only Shure would make Olives with a wide center hole.
I've used the same pair for over a year over 2hours+ a day.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 8
i had the Comply "rent a tip" expiriance with my Triple.fi 10, at around 3-4$ a pair, and with the pairs lasting 10-14 days each, it wasnt a nice one,

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 8
I could care less about the discoloration, but the foam gets less pliant (not really a big deal) and then actually starts to tear and fall apart relatively quickly if I use them at the gym.

Even in regular use it happens over the course of a couple months... but with the gym it seems to happen in a week or two. I realize if I'm going to sweat into them rubber is probably a better choice, but I was hoping some kind of hybrid existed and it looks like it does.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 8
You could try Shure's black foams (AKA Olives) and de-core them to fit whatever IEM you're using. I use a pair of decored olives on my RE0s and MEElectronics M6s and the fit is snug, isolation is great and they're very comfortable to wear over long periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back