Compliments to my current IEMs and full-size headphones?
Jul 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hgreg

New Head-Fier
Hello all, brand-new poster here. I've done my fair share of reading in these forums over the years, so I'm not totally clueless, but there's just *so* much to read through that I'm finding it difficult to plan an 'upgrade' for my gear. I'm not looking to replace my current headphones but rather supplement them with something that is a step up.

I listen to 'edm' (but not the commercial stuff) 90% of the time, while classic & alternative rock, and 80s/90s metal comprise the remaining 10%. I listen through a Fiio E7 or Audioengine D1, or directly from my smartphone (Samsung ATIV) if it's not convenient to have a DAC/amp.

So, let me break down what I have, and what I'm looking for in a supplement for what I use now:

Full-size: Ultrasone Pro 900s (unmodded). I really enjoy the bass that so many recommend them for, and find the overall sound very pleasing. I'm leaning towards a pair of open-back headphones in the $500-$1000 range to compliment them.

I am happy to give up SOME low-end in favour of improved detail and expanded soundstage. When I listen to full-size headphones, I do so to 'discover' as much as I can in the productions I am listening to.

Portability is not an issue here, and if they need to be amp'd, then so be it. Comfort is relatively important though due to the duration of the sessions I have with my full-sizers on (I find the 900s to be extremely comfortable). Isolation is not an issue at all either, which I believe is not something one would expect with open-back designs.

IEM: Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. I also purchased these based on what I read about how they do in the bass department, and find myself quite happy with them. Overall sound seems pretty good also. I have a few requirements for a complimentary pair of IEMs (budget also $500 - $1000):

1. Cable microphonics. As little as possible please. I don't find the MTPCs to be too bad in this department, but would appreciate something even better.

2. Isolation. I suspect this has more to do with the tips being used than the actual headphones themselves, but just in case I'm wrong, I'm putting this in the list. I tried all the different tips that came with my MTPCs, and found that the large triple-flange (christmas tree?) tips to be the best isolating ones for me. I would like to continue using that style of tip on whatever the new pair of IEMs would be.

3. Bass. I think I would be disappointed if I took a step down in this department. I would like something with at least as much at the MTPCs.

4. Ability to drive directly from a modern smartphone, without an amp. Just not enough room in my pockets for an amp/dac when I'm on the go. 

I guess that's about it. I know I'm one of many threads asking for advice like this, but if anyone has the time to put their $0.02 in, however brief or detailed as you like, I would really appreciate it. Feel free to even simply list some names if that's all you have time for. I'm more than happy to do the research on my own... I'm really just trying to narrow things down.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 10
Have you seen the battle of the flagship reviews? http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Might help with your search for open headphones.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 10
cel4145: yeah, been trying to 'get through' that thread. I suspected it would be a valuable source of information, thanks for confirming that.

reddragon: yes, actually I have. The thing I worry about is that the budget is a little on the low side for custom. But, yes, totally open to the idea, but don't wanna discount universals if there are any clear choices.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
cel4145: yeah, been trying to 'get through' that thread. I suspected it would be a valuable source of information, thanks for confirming that.

reddragon: yes, actually I have. The thing I worry about is that the budget is a little on the low side for custom. But, yes, totally open to the idea, but don't wanna discount universals if there are any clear choices.

well 500 bucks may be a little on the low side but 1000 shouldnt really, so it kinda depends on if your budget is closer to 500 or 1000...

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Hello!

I can hardly think of any IEM brassier than MTPC and since you like the sound (I assume), why not reshell it? With your extra money, you can also make your own design on the CIEM or upgrade for more BA? XD

As for full-size, I would suggest you the HD600 with Schiit Modi and Magni! The HD600 with A1 amp sound amazing and I'm sure it would sound great as well with the Schiit amp and DAC althought I have never to try that combo

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hello!

I can hardly think of any IEM brassier than MTPC and since you like the sound (I assume), why not reshell it? With your extra money, you can also make your own design on the CIEM or upgrade for more BA? XD

As for full-size, I would suggest you the HD600 with Schiit Modi and Magni! The HD600 with A1 amp sound amazing and I'm sure it would sound great as well with the Schiit amp and DAC althought I have never to try that combo

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious as to how to go about re-shelling Copper Turbines for use as a custom IEM.  I like the sound of the Coppers but find all IEMs to be difficult to get a good fit with (likely due to wearing ear-plugs nightly for years).

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Just curious as to how to go about re-shelling Copper Turbines for use as a custom IEM.  I like the sound of the Coppers but find all IEMs to be difficult to get a good fit with (likely due to wearing ear-plugs nightly for years).

Firstly, you will have to get an ear impression then send your impression to your preferred reshell ing manufacture together with your IEM and ask them to reshell for you. It will cost you about $250

Billson :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Firstly, you will have to get an ear impression then send your impression to your preferred reshell ing manufacture together with your IEM and ask them to reshell for you. It will cost you about $250

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

thats a bit much and probably not worth it... and i heard that reshelling a universal iem may also change the sound too due to different placements of the drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back