Complimentary to the Denon D5k's? (HE-500)
Feb 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BassinURface

Head-Fier
I've had my DK5's for quite some time now. I truly believed I had found my sound and hadn't logged onto to Head-fi in a very long time. Im still going to keep these headphones but I feel I want to try something new. I want a headphone to *wow* me again. Is the HIFIMAN HE-500 the right type of headphone Im looking for? Is it considered a next step in regards to the AH-D5000's?

I've never owned an open headphone and I've always wanted to try them out. I want to spend around $500 and open myself to a new type of sound. I want to be more engaged with the music. I really want something that speaks to the soul. :D
I know my question is a little vague but do you guys think I might be on the right track here?

I don't too much experience with multiple headphones but when it comes to sound 
-Ultrasone Pro 900 were too sibilant to me. 
-Old Bass lover that fell in love with mids more.
-Still enjoy midbass. 

Electronic music -  Down tempo - techno -  https://soundcloud.com/artybacardi Thats my soundcloud if you guys want to check out what I listen too.

I know I haven't logged on here in quite some time but this forum has always been good to me! Most informative forum ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 4
I recently purchased the Fostex TH500RP from Sonic Electronix.  The price was $329.  I really enjoy my Fostex THX00, and thought I would give these a try...the price made it easier.  I have not spent a lot of time with them as yet, so I am not sure that they are even properly burned-in, but I can say that I am really enjoying them.  I am not an audiophile, and cannot describe the sound signature the way others do on this site.  However, the sound stage is incredible.  This could be the predicted reaction since I am coming from the closed THX00, but it was a lot more than I was expecting.  Also, I am not a bass head.  I would say that I find the bass to be just about perfect on the TH500RP.  The build quality is very good as you would expect for headphones with an MSRP of $700.  I find them to be quite comfortable and have had a couple 3+ hour listening sessions without experiencing any discomfort or fatigue.  As you are probably aware, the basic design of the TH500RP is similar to the D5000.  In fairness, I have not heard the HE-500 so I can't give you any information there.  I thought it was worth letting you know that the TH500RP are available at a really attractive price at the moment since they seem to fill at least some of the selection criteria that you mentioned.  Good luck.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 4
It actually doesn't have to sound similar. Id actually prefer trying a different sound than the Denons. The new level of sound if you will... I was thinking in the $600 range to sound like some of the big boys. Thats why the HE-500's came into question. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 4
it seems that folks have pretty strong opinions about the TH500RP, as I think is the case with just about any headphone discussed on this site.  I don't think I have seen, heard, or read about any headphone that is universally, or unanimously loved. I have not tried all the headphones that are available, and don't have any desire to do so.  With the TH500RP, I certainly don't feel hear any wonky vocals or messy treble when I listen to albums that I am familiar with with.  I will stick by what I wrote earlier.  For the price, I believe the TH500RP is a very well made, comfortable, very good sounding headphone.  Is it right for everyone?  No, of course not.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  As it stands now, you have two opinions that may, or may not be helpful.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back