Compliment to Senn595s
Apr 18, 2005 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

apostate

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently got some Senn 595s and really love them. That said, every once in a while I just want to listen to things a little differently. I'm thinking something like the Grado RS-1s or the Beyer 880s. Unfortunately I don't have an amp with enough power to drive the AKG K1000s otherwise I'd probably give those first shot at "and now for something completely different".

Most of my listening is portable so they would be hooked to my iPod and Headroom TAH (with cardas cables).

I'm open to anything that can be driven with that set up (until I can afford the mpx3 I have my heart set on).

Thanks in advance,

Ant

Edit: Music tastes and collection run the spectrum and I see an upgrade to a higher end portable amp in the near future (SR-71, Cosmic or Supreme, etc.). While I primarily listen to the portable, it is usually done when I am able to use full size phones and have power available.

Edit2: fixed odd title

Apr 18, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 22
I think you'll find there's a good deal of difference between the words "compliment" and "complement". Best look them up.
eek.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 22
I recently got the 325i's to compliment my hd595's, and I feel that they do that very well. In fact, they both compliment each other a little too much. I've had to put them in separate parts of the room - I don't want to come home one day to find some b*stard gradheiser's on the floor. Though they might end up being the perfect headphone, I'm sure they would be ridiculed at school.

Anyway, all joking aside, I was also looking for that "and now for something completely different" as well, and I feel the grados were a good choice. They do complement each other well.

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I recently got the 325i's to compliment my hd595's, and I feel that they do that very well. In fact, they both compliment each other a little too much. I've had to put them in separate parts of the room - I don't want to come home one day to find some b*stard gradheiser's on the floor. Though they might end up being the perfect headphone, I'm sure they would be ridiculed at school.

Anyway, all joking aside, I was also looking for that "and now for something completely different" as well, and I feel the grados were a good choice. They do complement each other well.

I'm doing the same thing as you, I owned a grado rs-1/ra-1 and sold those. I got an akg k240s while I mused over things, and I decided I'd get the most detailed/fun high end headphone from senn/grado, that will work fine without a dedicated amp. The hd595 I have and the 325i is coming very soon I can't wait.
BTW I'm looking forward to seeeing your c-pad impressions, I'm thinking of maybe getting them later.

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 22
I've got the MSi and the HD590, and the difference is not as pronounced as I had thought by reading comments - but then again, the HD590/595 is supposed to be the more forward sounding of the senn line.

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 22
My bad, you would have thought I would have caught the compliment/complement one, knew something looked odd. Still haven't figured out to change the actual title of the thread as it shows up on the main page.

I'll take a look at the Grados. I figured they would probably be high on the list of alternatives.......

Ant

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 22
I'm also looking headphones to compliment my 595s. I've been thinking about Alessandro MS1s cause they're very cheap and should be comparable with much more expensive Grado SR125/SR80. Grados would be fine also but they're very expensive here in Finland and it isn't possible to order them from USA (but it is possible to order MS1s).

What do you guys think?

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 22
Patu, what about some Beyerdynamic ? That's the direction I'm looking in myself.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I'm also looking headphones to compliment my 595s. I've been thinking about Alessandro MS1s cause they're very cheap and should be comparable with much more expensive Grado SR125/SR80. Grados would be fine also but they're very expensive here in Finland and it isn't possible to order them from USA (but it is possible to order MS1s).

What do you guys think?

I say go for it the ms-1 has to be the best value alessandro/grado, it certainly is if you live outside of the US where Grados cost a fortune.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Patu, what about some Beyerdynamic ? That's the direction I'm looking in myself.

They crossed my mind Andrea but I think they might be just like Sennheisers, good for acoustic, classical, jazz and that kind of stuff (or at least the flagship model DT880). I tried DT880 when I bought these 595s and the resolution was just something amazing but they lacked bass which would be pretty important when listening rock, hip-hop, trance etc.

Well I've also heard that DT770 is a bassmonster but I think that isn't what I'm looking for either. And I don't want closed cans.

All the comments about "Grados for rock" and "Grados are fun" have made me very curious about them. Well they won't be as comfortable ass these Senns but nothing is perfect. I think those MS-1s would be about 100 euros when shipped to Finland.

One option which crossed my mind is that I'd join a local group order and order HD650s. Would be around 250 euros with shipping costs. And if I'd found them superior to 595s I could sell these and be happy with HD650s.
smily_headphones1.gif

My tube amp could arrive already from China cause I'm very curious about its influence to 595s sound. It was 15.3. when it was ordered but there's some delay with that package.

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

All the comments about "Grados for rock" and "Grados are fun" have made me very curious about them. Well they won't be as comfortable ass these Senns but nothing is perfect.

If you want fun 'phones with the Senn comfort, go for the HD590's. They are very lively with a ton of bass. They don't have that Senn smoothness at all. As many have said, the mids are a bit recessed, but they're still very fun 'phones with a lot of 'pop' to them. I recently got the HD595's to replace them because I wanted better mids, but now I don't want to let them go. They are the most comfortable 'phones I've ever worn (they edge out the 595's) and they're a nice compliment to the 595's.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

They crossed my mind Andrea but I think they might be just like Sennheisers, good for acoustic, classical, jazz and that kind of stuff (or at least the flagship model DT880). I tried DT880 when I bought these 595s and the resolution was just something amazing but they lacked bass which would be pretty important when listening rock, hip-hop, trance etc.

Well I've also heard that DT770 is a bassmonster but I think that isn't what I'm looking for either. And I don't want closed cans.

All the comments about "Grados for rock" and "Grados are fun" have made me very curious about them. Well they won't be as comfortable ass these Senns but nothing is perfect. I think those MS-1s would be about 100 euros when shipped to Finland.

One option which crossed my mind is that I'd join a local group order and order HD650s. Would be around 250 euros with shipping costs. And if I'd found them superior to 595s I could sell these and be happy with HD650s.
smily_headphones1.gif

My tube amp could arrive already from China cause I'm very curious about its influence to 595s sound. It was 15.3. when it was ordered but there's some delay with that package.

Patu, as for the HD650 I certainly recommend it but personally I wouldn't part with the 595, since firstly they are different . Better listen to it first, if you can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you please give me a hint of the timbre of the DT880 with vocals and perhaps some acoustic instrument, as compared to the HD595? Apart from being still more detailed, did you perceive it as more/equally/less warm and natural (which is crucial for me) ? I'm asking because I've almost made up my mind for the DT880.

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
If you want fun 'phones with the Senn comfort, go for the HD590's. They are very lively with a ton of bass. The don't have that Senn smoothness at all. As many have said, the mids are a bit recessed, but they're still very fun 'phones with a lot of 'pop' to them. I recently got the HD595's to replace them because I wanted better mids, but now I don't want to let them go. They are the most comfortable 'phones I've ever worn (they edge out the 595's) and they're a nice compliment to the 595's.

I've read too much negative comments about 590 so that won't be one of my choices. And if I'd buy Sennheisers they'll be HD650.

Quote:

Patu, as for the HD650 I certainly recommend it but personally I wouldn't part with the 595, since firstly they are different . Better listen to it first, if you can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well my budget is still very limited and knowing myself I would only listen to those cans which I finally find better and then I won't be needing those other cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Could you please give me a hint of the timbre of the DT880 with vocals and perhaps some acoustic instrument, as compared to the HD595? Apart from being still more detailed, did you perceive it as more/equally/less warm and natural (which is crucial for me) ? I'm asking because I've almost made up my mind for the DT880.

Well I listened DT880 with a different equipment (some integrated amp), in a different store and only about 10-15 minutes so don't take my comments too seriously. And I also listened different music with them. I had some Björk CD to listen with DT880.

So the first thing (as I said) was the _amazing_ resolution. They sounded so detailed and clear that I was strictly amazed. Every little detail was easily audible.

Were they warm? That's hard to say because it depends pretty much about the source and as I said I had a different source with DT880. But I could say that they sounded very natural to me but not significantly warm. I can't say did they sound more natural or warmer than 595.

The female vocals (Björk) sounded natural and good to my ear. But that one of the 595s attributes also.

The thing which I missed was a better bass reproducion.

I just think that DT880 wouldn't be a very good compliment to 595.

Maybe I'll join that local group order for 650s and give them a good try. I just should get that amp first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back