Compliment to my darth
May 15, 2007 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kamal007

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

im selling almost all of my cans except for my darth.. which cans do you think will be a compliment to my darth? im planning to get a dt990 or rs-2 or maybe an open darth... do you have any ideas for cans thats around the same price?

Thanks

May 15, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 19
I thought I was going to see a pic of your Darths and I would tell you how nice they look.
tongue.gif

Do you not like the Senn or Grado sound?

May 15, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 19
i like them but im going higher end into their model i guess..

see the thread for "post your darth"..already posted mine there..

May 15, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 19
I would regard another bass heavy fon like the DT990 not as compliment to a Darth. That is as like owning a Landrover and getting an additional Jeep.

A compliment would be something more subtle such as K701 or DT880.

May 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 19
A complementary can should take into consideration your sonic preferances as well as application for system match to be effective.

The k701s as a referance can, being neutral and well balanced in their presentation also can be considered a relaxed warmer presentation than the 880s based upon my use of the 990s .

I'll throw in a can that has my interest. Have you considered the AT-AD2000?

But I do suggest you try the RS-2s for the experience of those strings played with details, attack & impact, without giving up the warmth and bass which seem to be a preferance of yours. Also, that they are a super easy can to get to sound great in a wide array of systems even mobil with a Shuffle should the ocassion arise...

While the 990s have the bass presence you seem fond of, they can indeed be bright in their midrange and trebel (recording dependant), and are much more a difficult can to get to sound pleasing, although mine are not going anywhere. I believe these qualities holds true with the 880s and I wouldn't simply buy it blindly thinking it would get headtime due to being so very different as to fulfil the role of a complementary can ...Nor does that mean it wouldn't be a good choice for some...

All higher level cans, even within the same basic signature, are so very subtly different in their presentation that they would be complementary providing something different to the same music played. I believe you are on the right track first identifying your prefered signature (with better than average bass), and venture close to that for other choices as a complementary can.

I'll throw in the AH-D2000s for your consideration also....
Unfortunately mine haven't arrived yet to warrant further thoughts on them. but what i have identified is that they too, like the RS-2 are easy to get to sound great not being tempermental as to downstream gears as other choices...

Hope this is helpful in your pusuit for a complementary headphone to your Darths
wink.gif

May 15, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks guys..
Its really nice asking questions here.. You get more than you expected too. Well.. Ive tried the k701 and theyre bass shy,

Well, another set of closed cans will not be a compliment right? since im able to achieve that with my darths..

Beyer 880, RS-2 or maybe some other lower end cans?
If i could get enough cash,i may end up with an rs-1 ..=)

Thanks guys

May 15, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 19
RS-1 or RS-2 if you want another can to compliment your Darth's. Another route would be Open Darth's.

I would take a different approach and get a better amp/dac. I loved my Darth's with my MisterX XP but now with my GCHA I can't take myself away. The thing I like about getting into a higher level amp is the fact it makes my Darth's like a whole other animal. More controlled, more detailed, and such. Seems like a different headphone to me.

Another plus is you can use it with any other headphones you order.

Just my opinion though.

May 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 19
I don't usually recommend this, but how about getting a new amp instead? If you can afford to lose the DAC, a Corda Opera may be the best match, period, for any Beyerdynamic headphones. Alternatively, I'd suggest looking into the K5/6/701 series, or the RS-2, as they contrast the Beyer sound well.

May 15, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 19
well..upgrading my amp will be a great idea too..but the XP amp that im using right now is really2 good..havent tried others yet but some says that this XP amp will beat even a $300 amp

May 15, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well..upgrading my amp will be a great idea too..but the XP amp that im using right now is really2 good..havent tried others yet but some says that this XP amp will beat even a $300 amp

Trust me, if you think your XP is good, then you will be simply mesmerized by the sound of an Opera.

May 15, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I owned an XP and for the money it was a GREAT amp with my Darth's. Was it in the same league as a Presonus CS or my GCHA? Not even close of course there is quite a price difference there also.

From looking at your sources for music listening a nice DAC/Amp combo would really help you enjoy those Darth's the their full potential.

See if you can try out a Presonus Central Station, Meier Corda Aria, Meier Corda Opera, PS Audio GCHA.

The Presonus you can get for decent prices if you can come cross one in the FS section which I believe there is one right now. That I am more then willing to bet would make you fall in love with your Darth's even more then you are now

The XP is a good portable amp and I liked mine with the Darth's but I can tell you here and now that one of the amps I listed will take you to heaven with your Darth's.

May 16, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 19
well..but theyll cost me a fortune..are there any that is around $300 that will really2 beat the xp?

May 16, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

well..but theyll cost me a fortune..are there any that is around $300 that will really2 beat the xp?

There is a Presonus CS listed in the FS section in the price range you are looking for. It's a steal. If I did not already have a SQ84 and PS Audio GCHA I would be all over it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240545

That would make a NICE addition to your Darth's. Great Dane owns one and enjoys his with is Darth's.

May 16, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a Presonus CS listed in the FS section in the price range you are looking for. It's a steal. If I did not already have a SQ84 and PS Audio GCHA I would be all over it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240545

That would make a NICE addition to your Darth's. Great Dane owns one and enjoys his with is Darth's.

yup. get that then order some Open Darths and sell your closed ones b/c the Opens are all you will need for some time lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back