Completely unaware - $1000 budget - HT / Home Audio setup
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ecaz

New Head-Fier
Starting with nothing but an empty room, ~12x14, tile floors, wood walls (thinnish) with large thin windows (can cover with thick drapes for deadening/absorption)

for $1000 what would you put in it?

Opera, Classical, and a little EDM.

If you need more info, please ask.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Since you have an empty room, you'll definitely need some kind of room treatments or the reflections will make it sound pretty bad. Tile floors are no help.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 8
  Starting with nothing but an empty room, ~12x14, tile floors, wood walls (thinnish) with large thin windows (can cover with thick drapes for deadening/absorption)

for $1000 what would you put in it?

Opera, Classical, and a little EDM.

If you need more info, please ask.

Check accessories 4 less for refurb receivers.
The website Techbargins will sometimes list speakers for sale (receivers too).

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 8
I may be biting off more than I can chew here, or just asking a question that's too ambiguous...

What would YOU put in it?

For $1000, what do you think the best receiver/amp + speakers (passive) do you think is the best bang for the buck?

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 8
  I may be biting off more than I can chew here, or just asking a question that's too ambiguous...

What would YOU put in it?

For $1000, what do you think the best receiver/amp + speakers (passive) do you think is the best bang for the buck?

If you wanted to save a few dollars, get this 5.1 speaker setup for $242, from Monoprice.
It appears to be rebranded Energy 5.1 speakers.
Energy seem to get a lot of positive feedback on their speakers.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

Or find some Polk audio speakers on sale, I'm not saying Polk Audio is any better then other brands, but their low cost (when on sale) means your at least getting a good value for the cash.
Or check you local Craigslist, might find a good on a used receiver/5.1 speaker system.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Spend the bulk of your money on speakers. You'll get the most benefit from that over putting more into amplification/electronics.

Since you like EDM, are you thinking subwoofer, too?

These Focal Chorus 717V towers are an excellent deal. Pair them with an Onkyo TX-8050 or Emotiva mini-X a-100. Or you could pick up a used receiver off Craiglist.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Okay - The Focal Chorus 717v's look awesome!

Is that Onkyo powerful enough to drive them? It's 80w, but the Speakers list 40-200 watts.

Is the Onkyo underpowered for that setup?

Sorry, I really am a newb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back