Completely new to this. Help me with my first rig.
Jul 24, 2006 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT (February 8th, 2007): I saw that somebody just bumped this. This post was created long ago. Don't waste your time on it
wink.gif

Hi.
So I've been sitting on my integrated AC97/SoundMAX-soundcard and a pair of Philips SBC-HP895, and I feel I really want some more out of my music. There's nothing wrong with the headphones really, but the soundcard. Therefore, I planned on buying an X-Fi XtremeMusic, but my PC is a slimline PC which will only fit the low PCI-cards. Guess the X-Fi is out of the question (And I do not plan on getting a new PC).

Therefore I started to think today. Maybe I should get a real CD and Amp instead? We're talking one hell lot more of money here, but still. I also have a pair of Grado SR60 coming in, either way.

So here's the deal, I almost only listen to my music through headphones, and probably will continue to do so. Therefore I thought I could skip the speakers and just go with the CD and Amp. Also, if I get that, will I still need a headphone amp?

I guess my budget is around $650. First of all, I found an old CD-player at home called Onkyo DX-702. Is that anything to have? I've been checking some local retailers, and here's just a pinch of some CD Players and Amps I like the price of:

CD-Players
CAMBRIDGE Azur 340C
CAMBRIDGE Azur 540C v.2
DENON DCD685PS
DENON DCD-700AE
NAD C521BEE
NAD C542
Harman/Kardon HD-970
Marantz 4300
Marantz CD-5001
Pioneer PD-F607

Amplifiers
CAMBRIDGE 640A v.2
CAMBRIDGE Azur 340A
DENON PMA-495
DENON PMA-700AE
NAD C320BEE
Harman/Kardon HK-970
Marantz PM-4001
Pioneer 109
Pionner 209-SR
Vincent SPARK-II (The very cheapest
biggrin.gif
)
Yamaha AX-396

Now that was a lot of namedropping. And may I remind you I am so completeley lost in this jungle?

Is there anymore vital stuff besides CD/Amp?

I would appreciate any help, and I'm sorry if this is really bugging you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
(misprint)

edit: nevermind

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 18
How the hell did that happen, I meant to start a new thread!
tongue.gif
Editing the post now!
biggrin.gif
And you can edit yours too if you want.

Would a moderator please delete posts #2 and 3? Would be much appreciated!

I heard the 540C V2 a while back. It's a good CDP, would be a noticeable upgrade, but I wasn't impressed. It had a dead boring sound and the highs were razor-sharp. Not that it was bright (it wasn't), there was just an ear-opening amount of presence and definition to them. You'd probably want to pair the 540C V2 with a tube amp if you go that route.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I heard the 540C V2 a while back. It's a good CDP, would be a noticeable upgrade, but I wasn't impressed. It had a dead boring sound and the highs were razor-sharp. Not that it was bright (it wasn't), there was just an ear-opening amount of presence and definition to them. You'd probably want to pair the 540C V2 with a tube amp if you go that route.

I think anything would be a noticeable upgrade from my current setup
wink.gif

However I feel like when I'm already at it, I should get something worthy, in my price range that is.

I really like the looks of the Harman/Kardon HD-970 and Harman/Kardon HK-970. Might you have heard them?

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome
Hi.
So I've been sitting on my integrated AC97/SoundMAX-soundcard and a pair of Philips SBC-HP895, and I feel I really want some more out of my music. There's nothing wrong with the headphones really, but the soundcard. Therefore, I planned on buying an X-Fi XtremeMusic, but my PC is a slimline PC which will only fit the low PCI-cards. Guess the X-Fi is out of the question (And I do not plan on getting a new PC).

Therefore I started to think today. Maybe I should get a real CD and Amp instead? We're talking one hell lot more of money here, but still. I also have a pair of Grado SR60 coming in, either way.

So here's the deal, I almost only listen to my music through headphones, and probably will continue to do so. Therefore I thought I could skip the speakers and just go with the CD and Amp. Also, if I get that, will I still need a headphone amp?

Two things spring to mind. Have you thought about getting an outboard soundcard connected via firewire or usb? M-Audio make some reasonably priced ones that would certainly be a major improvement on you current set-up.

Secondly if you are only going to listen via headphones to a single source then it makes more sense to buy a dedicated headphone amp. I would put most of your budget here as it will have the most impact on the quality of your listening experience.

If you get a headphone amp first you can check out your old Onkyo before making a further decision as they do make nice stuff but I have never heard their CD players.

Either way an M-Audio external box can be had for a few hundred dollars so this leaves a decent amount for a headphone amp.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Two things spring to mind. Have you thought about getting an outboard soundcard connected via firewire or usb? M-Audio make some reasonably priced ones that would certainly be a major improvement on you current set-up.

Secondly if you are only going to listen via headphones to a single source then it makes more sense to buy a dedicated headphone amp. I would put most of your budget here as it will have the most impact on the quality of your listening experience.

If you get a headphone amp first you can check out your old Onkyo before making a further decision as they do make nice stuff but I have never heard their CD players.

Either way an M-Audio external box can be had for a few hundred dollars so this leaves a decent amount for a headphone amp.

But is it really a good idea with USB soundcards? I mean, with the bandwith of USB and such.

Headphone amps are very rare to find at local retailers here in Sweden, but I found an X-Can v3, Rega Good Ear and the Grado RA-1 (most expensive).

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

But is it really a good idea with USB soundcards? I mean, with the bandwith of USB and such.

Headphone amps are very rare to find at local retailers here in Sweden, but I found an X-Can v3, Rega Good Ear and the Grado RA-1 (most expensive).

USB 1 is capable of carrying uncompressed stereo streams, but you will find most boxes nowdays will use USB2 or Firewire and carry multiple streams for home recording and suchlike. You can easily get a pci firewire card if your computer doesn't have native firewire.
I was thinking of something like this http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_...hile-main.html

Not the last word in DAC's but very good for the money, certainly the equal of a budget CD player.

I have heard that the X-Can amp is good but I am sure there are people here who know more about headphone amps than I do.

You could always import something like this as it's small enough to ship relatively inexpensively. There are bound to be some very good value ones coming out of China for instance.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm also considering the Denon D-M33 CD/Amp, which has been awarded 5 years in a row by "What Hi-Fi"
smily_headphones1.gif

Any opinions?

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I'm also considering the Denon D-M33 CD/Amp, which has been awarded 5 years in a row by "What Hi-Fi"
smily_headphones1.gif

Any opinions?

If you really want an actual cd player then the ones mentioned above would be a better bet. Of these I would go for the NAD, Cambridge Audio or Marantz depending on what type of music you listen to.

I am sure the Denon is very good for an all in one unit but it won't compete with a dedicated CD player in this pricerange.

The clincher will be if you have a large amount of CD's or not.

As far as the budget amps you mentioned go, these are primarily designed to play a variety of sources into speakers and the headphone socket is an extra but not the focus of the product.

Therefore since you are not going to buy speakers or drive more than one source it makes more sense to allocate your budget where it will make most difference ie. to a proper headphone amp.

Since you

1.already have an old CD player

I would have thought it made the most sense to sort out your amp first and then upgrade your source. I doubt any budget cd player is going to be a massive upgrade over your Onkyo if it's a full sized separate, compared to the difference decent amplification will make on your budget.

2. already have all your music on your computer

it would make more sense to upgrade your computer. Soundcards in breakout boxes are generally better than onboard soundcards because the audio electronics are more effectively isolated from the noisy insides of the computer. USB and Firewire are totally professional standard interfaces. Another option would be an SPDIF link to the computer. You will be surprised at the difference a half decent external DA converter makes to the sound coming out of your computer.

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Okay, so I've been looking into the M-Audio Audiophile USB. It's got a reasonable price and it sells in Sweden.

I'm not sure I have USB2 on this computer though. I have some Intel USB Controllers, and one "USB2 Enhanced Controller", and the ports of course. This according to the device manager. Say if I would have the normal USB, and buy this card. Would it be able to stream my music (average 192kbps LAME MP3) without problems? If there would be problems, maybe I should checkout a firewire card for my computer, although M-Audios Firewire Audiophile is more expensive.

Okay, so you're all recommending a headphone amp instead of a real amp.
As I said, there can be a problem finding H-Amps in sweden, but this is a couple I could find:

X-Can V3
Pro-ject Headbox (and MKII)
Rega New Ear
Vincent KHV-111
G&W TW-J1

The Rega New Ear had the best price
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 18
You probably want to go the External DAC/Amp route. That way you play the mp3s off your HDD still and it will be SQ of better than a CPD, depending on what you get obviously.

Ideally you're onboard audio has optical or you could buy a $20 card with one.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Might you recommend some external DAC/Amp?
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I'm not sure I have USB2 on this computer though. I have some Intel USB Controllers, and one "USB2 Enhanced Controller", and the ports of course. This according to the device manager. Say if I would have the normal USB, and buy this card. Would it be able to stream my music (average 192kbps LAME MP3) without problems? If there would be problems, maybe I should checkout a firewire card for my computer, although M-Audios Firewire Audiophile is more expensive.

If you have a USB2 controller then chances are you have USB2. Have you upgraded the OS since you bought the computer? otherwise I would think it safe to assume you have USB2. Either way USB1 will carry 192KPS, or indeed uncompressed at approx 1500KPS without issue as it runs at 12MBS.

The firewire version is more expensive because it can take multiple uncompressed streams running in both directions simultaneously which is useful for multitrack recording which you probably don't need unless you want to get into making music.

An SPDIF or Optical output is another option, something you may already have on your onboard soundcard.

So far as headphone amps go is it possible to go and listen and compare any of them at a hi-fi store with your own headphones? Personally I liked the sound of the MF one but can't comment on the others.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 18
The Rega Ears dont always work real well with low imp. phones so I would try your Grados with it first. I think the NAD in your CD list is the one I would pick. It combined with the little integrated amp (NAD) you mentioned is a good combo. However if your only going to use headphones get a dedicated headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back