completely digital VS hybrid digital/analog PC setup..
May 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chunghow3

New Head-Fier
i've been wondering about the difference between the 2.. currently i am running on a PC that holds most of my tunes.. got a lil interested in PC audio and kinda just scraped together what i could find..

PC (iTunes) - Creative X-Fi 5.1 - Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated Amp - Bose AM5 (Woofer + 2 speakers)

i'm asking about the difference because i don't see many people with hybrid setups.. is there a particular reason?

if i were to move up a lil and upgrade.. where would i start?

thanks for reading.. and possibly answering too.. :) 

May 12, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 15
Technically, you can only ever have hybrid Digital/Analog or full Analog.  You can't listen to digital music.  <_<  That's why you ALWAYS need a DAC in the line with PC audio.

sowut

May 12, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 15
hey! thanks for clearing that up.. makes me feel like such a noob :p so any input on how changing the different components of the system will affect it versus what it is now already?

May 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
hey! thanks for clearing that up.. makes me feel like such a noob :p so any input on how changing the different components of the system will affect it versus what it is now already?

I don't understand what you're asking.  Can you clarify?  How much which components affect sound, or your current weakest link, or...?

May 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 15
Okay, can you clarify how exactly all of your components are connected?  (Just interconnects, such as, PC --> Internal X-Fi --> SPDIF --> device --> RCA --> device)

May 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 15
PC (iTunes) --> USB --> Creative X-Fi 5.1 --> RCA --> Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated Amp --> Normal DIY Audio Cable --> Bose AM5 (Woofer + 2 speakers)

is this what you are looking for?

May 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
chunghow3 said:
PC (iTunes) --> USB --> Creative X-Fi 5.1 --> RCA --> Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated Amp --> Normal DIY Audio Cable --> Bose AM5 (Woofer + 2 speakers)

is this what you are looking for?

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Step one, look into other free media players that offer 'bitperfect' media streaming methods.  Foobar2000, uLilith, Reclock, etc.  WASAPI if you're on Vista/Win7, ASIO (ASIO4All) on Win XP.  A bit of reading on this topic would go a long way.

Step two, look into a good DAC.  If I recall, the Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB has an SPDIF output.  Thus, try to find a decent DAC-only unit to put in between that accepts TOSLINK (or USB, really).  This DAC would feed line-level RCA to your amp, just as you have it now.  The Creative, however, is really not a very good device, and is BY FAR the weak link in your system.

May 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 15
So technically the X-Fi is not a soundcard and a dedicated DAC would still work better? Do u have any recommendations on a soundcard & DAC? On a budget would describe the financial situation I guess.. Thanks for the help.. Appreciate it!

May 13, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 15
i'll definitely check out the media players..

if i am understanding you right, i need to get an extra DAC.. i always thought that the X-Fi acted as one.. Ok..would you be able to point me in the right direction with regard to an upgrade for the X-Fi and also a suitable DAC?

thanks again!!

May 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 15
The X-Fi does have a DAC in it, but, it's not implemented very well.  Thus, I think it's the weak link in the chain right now.

As for a DAC for you to use, it depends on your budget.  I don't know many lower end DAC-only units.  A quick head-fi search for 'Best $100 DAC', with whatever your budget is will yield results.  Expanding on those results is going to be the best research, unless you can actually use and listen to the units.

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 15
i had some spare stuff lying around and i swapped with someone for a NuForce Icon Mobile.. I know it ain't great and I'm still leaning towards getting a uDAC but I'm just checking to make sure that I have it plugged in right.. Am I replacing the X-Fi or placing the iCon Mobile somewher else along the line? 

May 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
i had some spare stuff lying around and i swapped with someone for a NuForce Icon Mobile.. I know it ain't great and I'm still leaning towards getting a uDAC but I'm just checking to make sure that I have it plugged in right.. Am I replacing the X-Fi or placing the iCon Mobile somewher else along the line? 

You can set it up in one of two ways:

Computer --> USB --> Icon Mobile --> Headphones
or
Computer --> X-Fi --> Line-out --> Icon Mobile --> Headphones

In the first example, the Icon Mobile bypasses the X-Fi and is working as both the DAC and the Amp.

In the second example, you get to keep the X-Fi's effects in games, and the X-Fi is being used as a DAC-only device, while the Icon Mobile is acting the part of the amp.

May 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 15
thanks for the recommendations Hybrys!

do the suggestions that you have put forward make the best use of the musical fidelity amp that i use to drive the speakers and subwoofer? if i wanted to make use of that amp, what would i do?

May 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
thanks for the recommendations Hybrys!

do the suggestions that you have put forward make the best use of the musical fidelity amp that i use to drive the speakers and subwoofer? if i wanted to make use of that amp, what would i do?

For that, you'd either want:

Computer --> X-Fi --> Line Out --> Amp.
or
Computer --> USB --> Icon Mobile --> Out to amp

That said, I don't think the Icon Mobile can actually be used in DAC-Only mode, only as an amplifier.  I'd ACTUALLY suggest posting it in our FS forums for $80-90, and grabbing a uDAC or similar device with the cash, unless you want the chargable portable amp for a portable device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back