Completely confused about which buds to buy...the great deals on Amazon don't help.
Nov 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zokster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting some new IEMs, and I'm not sure what to go for. I've been reading reviews on this site, and many other for the past 24 hours, and have learnt a lot...but I'm still pretty clueless. Up until now, I've only ever listened to Skullcandy, Sony/Sony Ercisson bundled earphones, and iPod bundled earphones, and some rip-offs that were really bass-heavy.
But I know what I like, and what I don't. I like the Creative EP-630's, but not too much. I like a LOT of bass, but not to the point where it gets muddy and completely drowns out the mids and highs. I'm not willing to sacrifice TOO much bass for details, but I'm not a complete basshead either.
From everything I've read and watched uptil now, I think I want one of these, and I know some of these prices  are extremely low for the products, so I hope there's no catch! (I've never shopped online before.)

JBL Reference 220:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Reference-220-Headphone-White/dp/B000OZNKXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290699656&sr=1-1

V Moda Vibe:
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Vibe-Earbuds-Gunmetal-Black/dp/B000V5L5MG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290699577&sr=1-1

V Moda Vibe Duo:
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Earbuds-Headset-iPhone-Compatible/dp/B000WN00FK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290699577&sr=1-5

Lenntek Sonix:
http://www.amazon.com/SwitchEasy-SX800-B-Sonix-Earphones-Black/dp/B001713AAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290699524&sr=1-1

Klipsch Image S2m:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-S2m-Noise-Isolating-Microphone-Single-Button/dp/B002FB7IWU/ref=sr_1_68?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290699421&sr=1-68

I've read loads of reviews (many right here on Head-Fi) on the Sonix, the JBL and the Vibes, but I still don't know...I wish I could just try them out. I have to buy them online because I live in India (going to ask a friend to get them for me when he heads over here). And because of that, warranty is out of the question, so durability is a concern. I'd appreciate ANY advice, really.

Thanks for your time!

P.S. : I know this is a lot (some would say TOO much) trouble for earphones this cheap, but I'm broke! And I really appreciate good sound quality, though I've been deprived of it for most of my years!

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 7
I had Vibes, and while my only other experience (other than crappy earbuds) was with Shure E2cs, I liked them a lot. However, durability was not great. The plastic on the cable broke under both ears after several months (my sense of time is terrible, so it could be anywhere from 3-6ish). After that though I was a lot more careful with storing and transporting them and they (to my surprise) lasted another 6ish months before the sound actually gave out in one of the earpieces. Maybe if you take better care of them than I did - careful storage and transportation from the start, and cleaning the cables which I neglected - you'll have better luck.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
If you are not allergic to Pink and want to try the Vibes, order the clearance item from 128headphones on eBay. Price + shipping to India is only $10.80 - http://cgi.ebay.ca/V-Moda-Vibe-Blush-Headphones-NEW-Sealed-Free-Shipping-/390261835942

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm...that really helps, Illisius, I'll keep that in mind. I had come to the conclusion, that the Lenntek Sonix were more durable than the Vibes, from all the other reviewers, but you just confirmed that the Vibes aren't the most durable, so thanks.

Ah man....pink? Damnit, wish it was anything but the Blush...but that's an insanely good price....I keep feeling like there's a catch, what d'you think, Santhosh? There's no guarantee it's always a sealed package, is there? I found some others, too...wouldn't really mind spending a li'l more, just wanna be sure, is all. And, d'you know how the tax is calculated on these items? 'Cause I was wondering about how much more I'll have to pay in taxes

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 7
These are older models which are under clearance sale. The "2010" models for $40 are the new ones.

I received one of those yesterday (since I did not want to pay more for an item that may not last long). They are in the packing and you receive the IEM, a carry pouch, a few tips and a bigger cord winder. I received it in 14 days flat and no custom duties were charged. I really don't want to be seen wearing them
redface.gif
and I hate pink. The Blush and the Midnight Blue are 45 deg angled plugs, which is said to have fixed the durability issues, but I've no idea.

I tried them for a while yesterday and these have little to no isolation, but are very comfortable. They sound very decent across the spectrum and I like them a bit better than some of my other IEMs (EP-630 etc.,). But these don't have lot of bass to my ears, so do not expect EP-630 like quantity. But mids are good and treble has some sparkle as well. I'd not be happy if I paid the full $80 or $100 back in the day, but under $20 shipped, these are not bad at all (and you don't have to wait for your friend
wink.gif
)

I am thinking of getting a Midnight Blue and gift away the Blush as fast as possible.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 7
JBL Ref 220 have very poor isolation if your wanting isolation, otherwise they sound not to bad when properly amped but not so good unamped, they also have serious microphonic issues. Can't say anything about the other pairs you listed.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Hmm...that helps a lot, man...infact I'm not so sure about the Vibes, any more.

Ah, about the JBLs, poor isolation? I'm afraid I would very much like a decent amount of isolation, and I don't intend to amp them, so perhaps they aren't for me. Thanks, dweaver.

Guess I'll have to decide soon. I'll tell y'all what I decide, when I do, thanks a bunch for the input! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back