Complete solution Windows/Linux
Jul 31, 2014 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

foca

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post here, thanks to everyone on the forum for all the great posts, they have been hugely helpful. I've read very similar threads but none tying together all my specific requirements, so I'm hoping someone with more expertise can help.

I've got DT880's 250 ohms, and grado sr 60i's, currently hooked up to onboard motherboard realtek audio. I've also got a Sonos Connect Amp which I want in the equation by sending line out from the PC to the Sonos. The Sonos AMP has analog in and does not have a headphone out. The Connect Amp is outputting to a pair of Dali Zensor 3 speakers, it drives them *ok*, some extra amplification would be nice but not required.

What I'm looking for is a long-term solution for a sort of entry level high quality computer-based sound system that is easy to use. I'd like to spend around $150 (or less) but am willing to spend more if necessary ($500+). These are the basics I'm looking for:
  - windows AND linux support (this rules out the Sound Blaster Z series!)
  - amping for headphones (tube preferable, but any amping at all would be a huge jump for my SQ)
  - easily enable/disable output to headphones and Sonos Amp
  - easily change volume is a plus (so something on / near desktop with a knob
  - more amping for speakers is a plus.

These are some various solutions I've considered and I'm pretty confused and out of my element at this point:

1) Creative Sound Blaster Zx PCI-e
No Linux support so not an option. What I liked about it was:
a) desktop extension device to plug in headphones, control volume, output to speakers
b) price
c) headphone amp included

2) Little Dot MKIII, dark voice 336se, something like that, coming from PC
I now realize this isn't enough of a solution and only solves one of my problems.

3) Posting to Head-Fi
=)

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Roseval thanks for the usb suggestion. After looking into it a bit, that particular model has some scary reviews on new egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132023

Creative has a similar model. Problem is, I'm a bit leery now of these all-in-one pc solutions due to driver issues and driver support. I want a device that will last a long time, and if the company does not continue to update the drivers for years, the device could become worthless.

I'm starting to lean towards a cheap (<$50) cross/platform PCIe onboard sound card (without amp or fancy bells and whistles), with one of the following
a) little dot MK III or similar heaphone AMP + pre-amp
b) DAC w/ pre-amp, then some headphone AMP (no preamp)
c) DAC w/ pre-amp & headphone AMP

This way I can do:
cheap soundcard -> DAC or Headphone AMP, and from there do headphone out to phones and pre-amp out to Sonos Amp

I'm not sure if the cheap soundcard would even be necessary if I was using a DAC outside of the PC. I would think so since the DAC would receive input from the PC soundcard out.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 7
A DAC is a chip doing the DA conversion.
The onboard audio has one + an amp.
Discrete soundcards do have one + amp.
An outside soundcard is also called a DAC and of course inside there is a DAC (chip)

The onboard audio or a discrete soundcard does the DA conversion. Hence you don't need an outboard DAC.
An outboard DAC requires a digital connection. This can be USB or SPDIF.
In case of USB you don't need a soundcard at all as it is completely bypassed.
In case of SPDIF you need an SPDIF out on the PC.
If the PC doesn't have one, some soundcards do have SPDIF out or you buy a separate SPDIF bracket
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/SPDIF_connect.htm

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 7

My suggestion, I use a Sony UDA-1 with Linux.
My little review : http://www.head-fi.org/t/680611/new-sony-high-end-dsd-gear-including-a-usb-dac/105#post_10463179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back