Complete novice! Need help creating audio rig for desktop!
Nov 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:

Xaborus, I appreciate your thorough lesson regarding headphones for gaming, but at this point I'm looking for a speaker system. I will definitely bookmark the headphones you linked me though for the future.

Quote:
yeah. I'd also upgrade your soundcard, or ideally look into a DAC (stereo) and pickup a soundcard with a quality SPDIF output (bit perfect, stable output etc)

This is over your budget but want something along the lines of

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=483
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

I'm a bit confused as where to start looking for all this. Once again I am a complete audio-noob. I understand that there are two things that are on my list, to get a sound card for my PC and then a stereo system.

Ah, okay. Well if your looking for a speaker system I'm lost.

But here is a small explanation of a DAC. A DAC is simply a fancy term for an external sound card. 

I dont have any experience with DAC's myself, but they are supposed to have better stereo audio quality than an internal sound card.
This is due to EMI (Electromagnetic interference) from other components in the desktop. Such as fans, graphics cards, and hard drives. EMI is what creates that "Buzz" or "Hiss" in your speakers when there is no music on.

Although, the Xonar ST does have an EMI shield. But again, i have no experience in DAC's. So i can not speak for the difference myself.

But what you want to look for in a DAC is 192Khz/24-bit Sample rate. What this means in simple terms is audio quality. The higher the better.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
". All the speakers must be of equal distance to your head, to get the best experience."

Incorrect. You use the speaker distance and levels setting in your av processor. They don't need to be equally distant.

franklyfresh, for a stereo Hi-Fi you need those two types of components. Plus RCA cable and speaker cable. RCA goes out from your soundcard into that Rotel line level input. Speaker wire connects to the speaker terminals. That's a pretty basic system, there are more complex systems for example PC-->DAC--->Pre-amp-->Poweramps--->speakers. Or PC --->AV processor---->Poweramps---->speakers.

But those are way out of your budget.

Sorry, im speaking from computer audio experience. I admit, I've never touched a DAC or a AV receiver in my life.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #18 of 21
"But what you want to look for in a DAC is 192Khz/24-bit Sample rate. What this means in simple terms is audio quality. The higher the better."

/facepalm. Sorry but you're mistaken, there is far more to sound quality than "better specs" 

A DAC takes a digital audio signal from your soundcards optical/coaxial output, and converts those digital bits into a analogue signal, then sends it off to line output into your analogue pre-amp.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
"But what you want to look for in a DAC is 192Khz/24-bit Sample rate. What this means in simple terms is audio quality. The higher the better."

/facepalm. Sorry but you're mistaken, there is far more to sound quality than "better specs" 

A DAC takes a digital audio signal from your soundcards optical/coaxial output, and converts those digital bits into a analogue signal, then sends it off to line output into your analogue pre-amp.

Right, but what im saying is that he dosen't want to buy a DAC with a lower sample rate. A good high quality DAC should have atleast a 96/24 or a 192/24 sample rate.

With his budget, i dont think he can afford a soundcard for transport and a quality DAC. The only options in his budget would be a USB DAC, or a PCI/PCI-e Soundcard.

Again, you obviously have more speaker experience than i do, I'm only 16. But I'm just personally speaking from my computer audio experience.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 21
IMO, you could probably get an Auzentech X-fi based sound card for ~150 or less.  Find a receiver and speakers on Craigslist and hook it up via optical or coax and call it a day.

I have a giant set of speakers for sale atm for pretty cheap but you probably don't live in AZ :frowning2:

I don't believe in the 5.1+ setups anymore.  They are too cumbersome and usually sound awful.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

Xaborus, I appreciate your thorough lesson regarding headphones for gaming, but at this point I'm looking for a speaker system. I will definitely bookmark the headphones you linked me though for the future.

Quote:
yeah. I'd also upgrade your soundcard, or ideally look into a DAC (stereo) and pickup a soundcard with a quality SPDIF output (bit perfect, stable output etc)

This is over your budget but want something along the lines of

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=483
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

I'm a bit confused as where to start looking for all this. Once again I am a complete audio-noob. I understand that there are two things that are on my list, to get a sound card for my PC and then a stereo system.

Frankley Fresh, if you decide to go with a Stero Speaker system. I highly recommend that you read this article.

Speaker Placement for Stereo Music Listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back