Complete novice! Need help creating audio rig for desktop!
Nov 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

franklyfresh

New Head-Fier
I need an audio setup for my desktop. I'm proficient in many technological areas, but audio is definitely not one of them. I watch movies and television shows very frequently on my computer and I do a bit of gaming too so I'm looking to build a pretty solid setup. I really have no clue how much a decent rig would run me, but I'm hoping to spend at most $500 after taxes if at all possible. However, I am willing to allocate more funds into my budget if it would yield a significant increase in the quality of the system I would be purchasing. 

I have absolutely no clue where to start. Perhaps I need to purchase a sound card? Start looking at how many speakers I want? I have no clue, so I hope to defer to the experts through this thread. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:

Quote:
$500 for a rig that can game isn't going to happen.. The video card alone is half that cost..

Pretty sure the OP is wondering about an audio rig and not looking to build a pc...

@franklyfresh

There's really an infinite number of options open to you. head-fi is predominantly geared towards Headphones and there are quite a few threads centred around gaming setups. The below being imo a good example of one.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483802/quest-for-holy-grail-of-gaming-sound

It'll be hard for anyone to advise you or suggest gear without a little more information.

Do you just want a setup for movies and games or do listen to a lot of music as well? If so what styles of music?

Are you interested in a headphone setup or are looking solely at going with speakers?

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 21
If your gaming..Those sub $700 rigs on anandtech aren't going to cut it.. If your going to play anything like Crysis,or COD black ops,forget it..  It will be outdated in months.. DO NOT skimp on a video card!  Most important part..You can pick up a GTX 470 on new egg for like $250.. Trust me,I've been building rigs for 20 yrs..

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
$500 for a rig that can game isn't going to happen.. The video card alone is half that cost..

Pretty sure the OP is wondering about an audio rig and not looking to build a pc...

@franklyfresh

There's really an infinite number of options open to you. head-fi is predominantly geared towards Headphones and there are quite a few threads centred around gaming setups. The below being imo a good example of one.

It'll be hard for anyone to advise you or suggest gear without a little more information.

Do you just want a setup for movies and games or do listen to a lot of music as well? If so what styles of music?

Are you interested in a headphone setup or are looking solely at going with speakers?

I read that..New hardware comes out all the time..The STX is nice,but I just picked up an X-fi HD sound blaster..Its new and has upgraded op amps. Plus THX.. I'm sure its every bit as good as the STX.. I'll have to let you guys know..I'm installing it today and trying out my new DT 990's..

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 21

@franklyfresh

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I am NOT looking to build a computer here, simply the audio to supplement my computer. 

I do listen to music a large variety of music, but I assume the most demanding would be the electronic/trance/dubstep I occasionally listen to.
I am looking for a speaker setup, not headphones. I believe my computer currently supports 7.1 speakers without a sound card.

Honestly what I would normally do is just look for a set of highly rated speakers, buy them and call it a day. But I wanted input from audio-enthusiasts this time. So I mean I could just buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120 and be done with it.

Quote:
If your gaming..Those sub $700 rigs on anandtech aren't going to cut it.. If your going to play anything like Crysis,or COD black ops,forget it..  It will be outdated in months.. DO NOT skimp on a video card!  Most important part..You can pick up a GTX 470 on new egg for like $250.. Trust me,I've been building rigs for 20 yrs..

My computer has two GTX 580's. But that is not why I'm here haha I'm looking for help building a sound system.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Hello, I'm also a gamer and a computer builder! Although I'm 16, i hope you can take me seriously :]

For gaming, and audio quality, Speaker Systems are Sub-Par compared to headphones.

Headphones will give you better positional audio (called soundstage to audiophiles) than a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system ever will, with the proper audio source.

And for us gamers, that audio source is the Xonar ST. It has drivers from Dolby (the new gaming standard) called "Dolby Headphone". This creates 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound from headphones.

As for headphones for us gamers, there is no better choice than the K701, DT880/600Ohm, and DT990/600Ohm.

You can read reviews comparing the K701, Dt880, and Dt990 here on head-fi using the search feature located at the top.

But if you wish to take advice from another gamer, The DT880's and DT990's are the best choices.

The difference between these two, and which one that will suit you the best, is based on YOUR personal preference.

DT880: More "true to life" sounding, less bass than the DT990's. I would chose these if you want better mids rather than bass.

DT990: More "theater experience" sounding, more bass, but slightly recessed mids. I would chose these if you value bass more than mids. Additionally, these are slightly better for competitive gaming where positional audio counts. Such as FPS.

With both of these, you will need a proper AMP.

FWIR (from what i read), many people recommend the Little Dot Mark III as a perfect low-cost match for the DT880's and DT990's.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TL;DR version.

Xonar ST ---> Little Dot Mark III ---> DT 990

Or

Xonar St ---> Little Dot Mark III ---> DT 880.

These are your best choices for gaming.

Total Cost: ~$630

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 21
yeah. I'd also upgrade your soundcard, or ideally look into a DAC (stereo) and pickup a soundcard with a quality SPDIF output (bit perfect, stable output etc)

This is over your budget but want something along the lines of

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=483
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 21
"Headphones will give you better positional audio (called soundstage to audiophiles) than a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system ever will, with the proper audio source."

snigger. Sorry but afraid you're wrong. Do you have a 5.1 speaker system? I've played with phone Dolby Headphone and went back to 5.1 home theatre for gaming.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
"Headphones will give you better positional audio (called soundstage to audiophiles) than a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system ever will, with the proper audio source."

snigger. Sorry but afraid you're wrong. Do you have a 5.1 speaker system? I've played with phone Dolby Headphone and went back to 5.1 home theatre for gaming.

Yes i have experienced 5.1 surround sound gaming.
Headphones will not only give you depth and position (front, right, left, back right, back left, back, ext) but also height.

Remember, this guy is an Audio NOOB. I doubt he could set up a 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound system properly. Its not like you just place the speakers around you. You have to create a sweet spot, and equalize the distance from you and all speakers. All the speakers must be of equal distance to your head, to get the best experience.

And remember, this site IS Head-Fi. Most of the people here are going to prefer headphones.

Also, not EVERY headphone will work with Dolby Headphone. The headphones must have exceptional soundstage and imagery.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 21

Xaborus, I appreciate your thorough lesson regarding headphones for gaming, but at this point I'm looking for a speaker system. I will definitely bookmark the headphones you linked me though for the future.

Quote:
yeah. I'd also upgrade your soundcard, or ideally look into a DAC (stereo) and pickup a soundcard with a quality SPDIF output (bit perfect, stable output etc)

This is over your budget but want something along the lines of

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=483
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

I'm a bit confused as where to start looking for all this. Once again I am a complete audio-noob. I understand that there are two things that are on my list, to get a sound card for my PC and then a stereo system.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 21
". All the speakers must be of equal distance to your head, to get the best experience."

Incorrect. You use the speaker distance and levels setting in your av processor. They don't need to be equally distant.

franklyfresh, for a stereo Hi-Fi you need those two types of components. Plus RCA cable and speaker cable. RCA goes out from your soundcard into that Rotel line level input. Speaker wire connects to the speaker terminals. That's a pretty basic system, there are more complex systems for example PC-->DAC--->Pre-amp-->Poweramps--->speakers. Or PC --->AV processor---->Poweramps---->speakers.

But those are way out of your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back