Complete novice looking for advice , first headphones around ~100$
Oct 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Akumetsu

New Head-Fier
I've been reading topics in the forum, but most of the relevant threads are old or have too many comments. I went through the 2013 guide ... but somehow nothing ticked. I was going for the M50 but after going through the earlier mention threads it would seem there are better options.

I want to ask as of the present which headphones are considered the best in the ~100$ range.

I have not owned any headphones(I have monoprice 8320 but I dont think that is relevant at all), so no experience. I am possibly looking for a good noise-cancellation.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 10
There are all kinds of good headphones for $100. The trick is to figure out which pair is best for you:

Is this for mainly gaming? Music? Movie watching? All of the above?
What kind of music (genres) do you listen to?
Do you like a bassy sound signature? More into a neutral sound?
What do you like/not like about the sound of the Monoprice 8320?
How will you use these headphones? At home? On the go?
What will you be plugging them into? Computer? IPod? Phone?

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Will be used mainly for music.
I listen to everything , but dub-step and those metal bands that scream something indistinguishable in the mike.
But to say I like to listen to "two steps from hell" , Rainbow ,  Metallica , rock-ballads.
To be fair, I am not sure what bassy/neutral sound signature is at all.

The monoprice are probably the best in-ear headphones I've owned , but they are just getting uncomfortable at a 15 minute use and the noise-cancellation is not enough for my noisy neighbors.

The phones are for home usage. On the go would be a bonus, but not that needed. Would be plugged into a computer/phone. Does an Ipod offer  better quality ?

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 10
What about the sound signature of the Monoprice? Do you want more bass/less bass/more treble emphasis? I haven't heard them, but a lot of people have. If you can describe how you like their sound signature, some one can certainly suggest a headphone that is more refined than them, but with the type of sound you like :)

Ipods are typically better than a computer for audio quality. Some phones are good. Reason it's good to know what you are plugging them into is because portable devices and computers generally do better with lower impedance headphones.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 10
Well the only thing I can say about the sound quality is the presence of some noise in (what i think is) the bass. I don't think I can give any other specifics as I have said I am a novice and I do not really have any ground on which to have an opinion.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 10
NVX Audio XPT100 that are $100 on Amazon are essentially the same headphone as the Brainwavz HM5 and Fisher Audio FA-003 that are often recommended on head-fi and cost more, too. The XPT100 has an updated flexible headband, but is apparently the same cups and drivers.

JVC HA-S500 are some excellent on-ear headphones that are very portable that have a little extra bass emphasis if you like that. Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 are good all around headphones.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 10
  I've been reading topics in the forum, but most of the relevant threads are old or have too many comments. I went through the 2013 guide ... but somehow nothing ticked. I was going for the M50 but after going through the earlier mention threads it would seem there are better options.
I want to ask as of the present which headphones are considered the best in the ~100$ range.
I have not owned any headphones(I have monoprice 8320 but I dont think that is relevant at all), so no experience. I am possibly looking for a good noise-cancellation.

Gemini HSR-1000, $50
Samson SR-950, $70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back