Complete newbie here - HD595's for portable audio/dvds?
Apr 13, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #31 of 35
Well as an update to it all, I got the headphones monday and have been "burning them in" since (with probably 30-40 hours so far).

When first using them out of the box I was very disappointed in the sound quality - I'm not an audiophile and can't describe what the problem was exactly.. they just didnt feel like $200 headphones (or at the retail price, close to $300 headphones). They didnt even sound like $100 headphones.
Listening to Music sounded about equal to my Philips HN100 headphones (which I bought the 595's to finally replace!) - one instant difference was just how comfortable they were! I couldnt wear the HN100's more than 15 minutes without having to take them off (and the noise reduction just gave me a headache as it felt like it was trying to suck something out through my ears
tongue.gif
)

But after the burn-in, I'm VERY impressed with it. I had the chance to watch a movie (and listen to many songs of different genres) with it after about 25-30 hours of burn in and it just keeps sounding better.
It actually does have decent bass (which is what I worried would be missing from these from the different reviews I've read). I do wish the cord was removable so that I could replace it with a shorter one (carrying around a 10 ft. cord can be a big hassle.. although I do prefer it to a 4-5 foot cord which keeps you sitting right next to your receiver - its a lose-lose situation!)

My problem with it, though, are that they really bring out the bad quality of my MP3s
frown.gif

I've always purchased/ripped mp3s at 192kbps and they all have a hissing noise in the background now - after downloading a 320kbps mp3 and not noticing it, It really makes it more noticable on the others. If anyone knows of a free PC program designed to help eliminate this (without eliminating actual music from an mp3) I'd very much appreciate it!

Overall, great headphones and money well spent!
smily_headphones1.gif

The grado cable is also very nice - I just wonder why they needed to use such a huge box to ship it
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #32 of 35
told ja about the burn in.... These are ridiculus cans like the 555s then out of the box. cant even beat good earbuds hehehe. its that upper midrange congestion they have out of the box thats the dealbreaker

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 35
I just got my HD595 about a week ago ($176.95 shipped), and contrary to everyone else, I found that they sounded quite good immediately. I'm sure their sound will improve with burn-in, but I enjoy hearing the change in the sound signature over time, so I just listen to them as much as possible rather than using a deliberate burn-in process.

My first impression is that their sound seems to vary greatly depending on what's driving them. Plugged into my Sony DA50ES receiver, the 595 exhibits clear mids and highs with the bass very forward in the mix, but it's still nice and clean bass. Overall, it's a very "live" sound, like I'm onstage or in the front row, and I like it better than my 20-year-old AKG 240M phones. But when I plug the 595 into my PA2V2, the forward bass is gone, and they sound thin compared to my Shure E4c with the PA2V2. Maybe the DA50ES is a very warm receiver, while the PA2V2 doesn't quite have the power to drive the HD595 properly? Comments from those knowledgeable on this would be appreciated.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #34 of 35
My Pa2v2 didn't have enough balls either with my 555s until I plug them in the wall. Sometimes at 4.5 volts instead of the 3v setting on my ac adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back