Complement vs. compliment
Jul 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

carlosgp

500+ Head-Fier
I am not even an english speaker, and god knows we all make mistakes, but this error is too frequent in this forum. We must STOP the wrong use of "compliment" when in fact we want to say complement. It cringes me every time I see it
smily_headphones1.gif

Cambridge dictionary:

compliment: 1. A remark that expresses approval, admiration or respect:
She complained that her husband never paid her any compliments any more.
I take it as a compliment (= I am pleased) when people say I look like my mother.
NOTE: Do not confuse with complement.

2. An action which expresses approval or respect: You should take it as a compliment when I fall asleep in your company - it means I'm relaxed.
Thank you so much for your help - I hope one day I'll be able to return/repay the compliment (= do something good for you).

complement:
to make something else seem better or more attractive when combining with it: Strawberries and cream complement each other perfectly. The music complements her voice perfectly.
NOTE: Do not confuse with compliment.

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 22
Complement has two meanings, as above and..

The quantity or number needed to make up a whole
eg: shelves with a full complement of books.

So if im right;
A full complement of obligations regarding politeness respect and good wishes, is a compliment.
blink.gif

And this works;
I was complimented when I was given a full complement of encyclopedias as a complimentary gift, because they complement my shelves.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 22
In spanish we have these two verbs, complementar (complement) and cumplimentar (compliment). As you see very similar too, but nobody confounds them. Which is the source of the error in english? Is just the similarity?

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 22
And 'your' and 'you're'.

Complement according to my Oxford dictionary means 'a thing that completes or improves something'.

Compliment means 'politely congratulate or praise'.

We are the grammar police, if we could only agree on spelling words the English way
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 22
And there is coarse & course of course.
blink.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 22
Its and it's... GAH! I had it in my sig for a while. I think I should put it back.

It's is not possessive. It's = "it is." If you can't subsitite "it is," use ITS!

The cat stepped on it's tail -> The cat stepped on it is tail. -> NO!!

EDIT: To be honest, I didn't know the difference between compliment and complement until now. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 22
insure and ensure is another one. Luckily people don't try these too often.

insure = buy insurance for your auto/guarantee against loss or harm

ensure = make sure something happens/take responsibility for something

to and too

to...go to a place
too...excessive....it costs too much

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 22
So if I'm not mistaken, you can have a complement of compliments
blink.gif

Is it (Is't) me or is everyone being awfully careful with their spelling?

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
insure and ensure is another one. Luckily people don't try those too often.

tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 22
it's the word that sometimes creeps up - 'prolly' - and other such silly colloquialisms that really get to me. spelling is one thing that can be forgiven as it is a slip of the fingers. in speech you cannot tell the difference but... other instances are just... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back