Competitor to Denon ah-d9200?
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TSelanne

Head-Fier
tl:dr: what's a similar-sounding closed-back headphone to the d9200? Ideally ones with deeper ear cups? Priced $2000usd or less

EDIT: I'm not driving these with an external dac and/or amp.

Longer version: I'm on a search to get another pair of cans (all closed-back, and prices usd).

I started with headphones $300 or less, and after testing 3 or 4 pairs, loved the ath-msr7b's. They are, however, much too uncomfortable for me (my ears press against the insides).

Next I tested headphones $300-$1000. Ath-sr9, Denon d7200, Focal elegia (so comfortable! but didn't like the sound), Ultrasone Signature, and one more I can't remember. I still prefer the msr7b sound to all of these. I guess I like bright mids and highs, and "enough" bass.

Most recently I decided to jump into the $1000 - $2000 price range, and first I've tried is the AH-d9200. I love the sound! Same bright and tight sound as the msr7b's, but much smoother & more refined. And while they're waaay more comfortable than the msr7b's, my ears still press against the insides, causing them to get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

What are some other competitors to the 9200's that I could try? So far I've identified Fostex th900 mk2, and Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti as possible contenders. Any others?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 14
It doesn't seem like you require much bass. I don't understand why you want something similar sounding to d9200. D9200 has great level of bass.

I agree, I love the bass and the overall sound. However, like I said above, I must have big ears, as they're pressing against the insides of the d9200 and get pretty uncomfortable after a while. Since I love the sound of the d9200, I'm looking for something similar in sound that has deeper cups.

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 14
I agree, I love the bass and the overall sound. However, like I said above, I must have big ears, as they're pressing against the insides of the d9200 and get pretty uncomfortable after a while. Since I love the sound of the d9200, I'm looking for something similar in sound that has deeper cups.
Unless you commit to driving the TH900 from a low impedance quality tube amp, I cannot recommend it for similar level of bass as it's mainly subs, and not the same level with large cup area. If bass is the most important concern with large pad room, you can look into Audeze, DCA, HEDDphone, Hifimans, but they will not sound like D9200 as D9200 has it's own mechanical specifics that are distinguishing. The planars listed are not easy to drive like D9200 has well, you have to amp them adequately to get good bass.

For budget, I'd recommend DT770, AKG K371, and Meze 99 classics. K371 would likely be small pad space.

I forgot this big one. THX-00 Ebony is the choice that's like D9200, but not as refined.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 14
I know this one doesn't get recommended often at all, but you might want to consider the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5.
It has deeper pads than the Denon. The sound profile is different of course, but on the whole I found it mostly balanced with "enough bass".
It's a very capable headphone, but sadly it hasn't reached many ears around here.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 14
I know this one doesn't get recommended often at all, but you might want to consider the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5.
It has deeper pads than the Denon. The sound profile is different of course, but on the whole I found it mostly balanced with "enough bass".
It's a very capable headphone, but sadly it hasn't reached many ears around here.

Thanks for this. From your comments, and the reviews, these look like a really nice option.

Unfortunately I can't find them anywhere. All the sites I've found so far are discontinued. I'll keep looking. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14
I mean... maybe you can get a 7200 cheaper, used, as it's an older model... but given what I've heard of the 7200 and read about the 9200, it's not likely you'll find something significantly cheaper that'll do what it does. I would describe the 7200 as a little bass forward (largely due to being closed back) with a very even over all signature and slightly rolled off highs (which I prefer as I'm treble sensitive). Love my D7200, can't imagine selling them. There was a pair in FS/FT not long ago for $550, and I think anything under $600 is fair in excellent shape. Last I looked there were pairs around $800 new on eBay.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 14
Focal, Audio Technica, and possibly Kennerton might be your best options. Have you read through the Closed Back Headphones thread? I would highly recommend if you haven't. It's under the full size headphones sub forum. Tons of impressions and comparisons to read through.

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes I've been in the closed-back thread quite a bit recently. I think I've tried all that I want to try now..... mkII's are the winner for me.

Yss I tried the 7200's and 9200's at the same time.... I didn't care much for the 7200.... besides being uncomfortable, the sound didn't really compare with the 9200's, I enjoyed the 9200's way more.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 14
well, I have lived in Tokyo near the factory of Fostex company for most of my life. I have used most of the Denon headphones and my Ah-D9200 is the best closed back in the world better than any Fostex. I have bought its flagship amps and stuff, but now I have started to dislike Denon as a company. It is not a typical Japanese company as its service really sucks. The quality is getting worse and parts of my AH-D9200 are decomposing. In Japan, customers are king but Denon customers are treated like crap. Denon is no more on my map and I am considering Audeze and Hifiman as alternatives. I am thus replacing my Denon Ah-D9200 with an Audeze LCD-5. Denon suuucks and is history...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back